Safety, Resilience and Processes Intern at BSH

Milton Keynes, Wolverton East Midlands
Business Management Corporate Law Customer Service E-Business Graphic Design Human Resources Information Technology Intellectual Property Law Marketing Public Relations Recruitment Sales

7.0/10

 To work and learn within the Safety, Resilience and Processes unit of BSH-GB and Ireland to assure all processes, organisation, Internal Risk Controls and Business Continuity (BC) matters are managed effectively and efficiently to support academic and corporate outcomes or to develop post graduate workplace experience.
 Promote P,O Internal Controls and BC good practice throughout the Business, in accordance with Company Policies and Regulations.
 Support BSH Internal Controls System Manager in controlling operational risk within processes
 Linking with Internal Stakeholders in order to understand & support their P,O, Internal Risk Control and BCM needs
 Maintenance of Internal Department Web-page
 Support Health and Safety activities;
 Participating and Presenting trainings on departmental related topics
Develop and Maintain Sharepoint Nintex Forms for Health and Safety and Business Continuity, Policy and Regulation needs and wants
 Maintenance of Department Metrics
 Where required, support all areas of the Business Services Team to ensure the smooth running of the Milton Keynes, Kettering & Ireland facilities, including the Conference & Training facilities

Working in a dynamic team on topics such as Health & Safety, Business Continuity Management, Policy & Regulations and Risk Management gave a good opportunity to grow and develop from a personal and professional level. I have enjoyed grately my placement year because of working in different areas which gave me the opportunity to build relationships, become more mature, increase my professional and personal netwroks and support me in discovering my streghts, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.

The dynamic and muticultal team within my department supported me greately from start to finish. My input was always accounted for, but also challenged.
Within the department that I operated in all team members when I needed help they were extremely supportive and allocated time to address all the questions that I had and ensure I understood everything. During my placement year I was part of all administrative decisions. I was always asked for my feedback, which was accounted within the decision-making process, criticized and even applied in several key projects that I have been a part of.
In my team as well as in BSH-GB I was not regarded as just an intern, but I was an,full time employee, an integral part of the a team with set targets, and decision making power.
Due to my valuable work I have been invited by my colleagues from the BSH headquarters, to the my departments annual conference at the headquarters to present a matrix that I developed.

Weekly 1-2-1 meeting were taking part with my manager in which we were discussing my personal progress & my areas to improve, setting targets, stategising for future projects, debreifing the previus week and managerial decisions.
During the year my manager allowed me to lead several projects from start to finish (with minimal guidence). This allowed me to make the necessary mistakes to gain experience. By allowing me to make the mistakes it made me reflect and learn from them.
I had my monthly administrative task, but also projects which I had to deliver in short or long term (depending on time criticality to deliver). I was not micromanaged, but supervised to ensure that I am doing my tasks. Whenever I was making a mistake my manager was making sure that I understand my mistake and learn from it in order not to be repeated.
Discussions took place with my manager with regards to future carreer aspirations (based on my Strenghts and Weaknesses), discussions which helped me to get interested into new topics and consider possible subjects to study for my Masters Degree.

No more than 80 to 85 % of my time was busy on a day-to-day basis, because my managers vision is that you need 15 to 20 % of you capacity to brainstaorm new ideas, reflec on your performace, what can be improved on a personal level as well as from a departmental level what can be done better, strategise on current approaches in existing project and future projects.

During my placement year I have been given managerial, co-managerial, shadowing and administrative roles. Depending on the project I have been trusted to quality assure other BSH employees work in a project, manage people, complete tasks by a set date and self-manage my own day-to-day or week-to-week activities.
This has given me the confidence to voice my opinions, give constructive criticism, build an image for myself within the company and not be regarded as an placement student/intern, but as a full time employee.

From a professional standpoint during this past year I recognised that I can pick-up new information quite quickly, since I entered fields that I did not study at university.
During the year I have been part of a few training courses offered by the organisation on topics such as Sharepoint, Nintex Forms, Project Management, Coaching and Presentation Skills which will help me in my final year of university, but also in future jobs.
On a personal level this year helped me get out of my confort zone, network with new people, teach me how to build a reputation and trust and learn about new topics.

In my office the atmosphere was mainly relaxed and fun. Everybody in the office was very professional, focused on doing their work to the best of their capabilities. However depending on the period the atmosphere can become more stressful (Ex. during projects everybody became more stressed and more task-focused), but on the other side we also had our fair share of fun office jokes, social activities after work, birthdays, department lunches).

Since I was the first placement student/intern in my position my tasks were very well organised. My manager from the begining of my placement year knew exactly what to ask of me, what taks to assign to me and what not to. All the projects that I have been involved and trusted to manage or support were based on the success and quality of previous assigned talks and projects.

I have been part of 4 different courses for which the company paid for, additionally I have travelled to all BSH locations in GB as well as to the headquarters in Munich to present a matrix that I developed. All expenses covered by the organisation.
I have also been given the opportunity to test the products (home appliances) that we are selling through having a Neff experience day and Gaggenau experience day

I believe that it would be great experience to work for BSH, since the organisation offers their employees opportunities to be part of different value adding projects, free courses as well as growth and development from a personal and professional level.
It would be appealing a future employment with the organisation, since there is still a lot for me to learn within the area that I worked in and also other departments.

Within the workplace the social environment is as good as the mix of personalities is within the office and placement students. The placement student social scene is well organised through the offering of student housing and the social activities organised by the organisation, however within the intern community it depends on the willingess of the invidual to socialise. In the big picutre it was good experience.
On the other side the social scene amongst my fellow office colleagues is very good, due to the Christmas Dinner, social drinks in the local pub, social night activities and due to my very good relationship with my manager.

The cost of living is very simillar to London from both a living and socialising standpoint. There are a couple of pubs and gyms near the location where the organisation is based.

Via train or taxi is a 20 min or 10 minute journey to the nearest shopping centre and cinema.

In the area i work the nightlife does not exist (there are a couple of pubs but no clubs). However in the city centre and outside the city (15 minute drive) there are a couple of locations where the nightlife is quite good. All the locations are accessible only via taxi or by via car when you go our, via bus it takes too much time.

Near the shopping centre in the city centre there is indoor skydiving and indoor skiing as well as rockclimbing. Additionally in the city centre almost everyday of the week there are Salsa, Bachatta and Kizoumba classes this a company offers this being a very good way to socialise.
Besides the obove mentioned there are several shops where you rent bikes, on a nearby lake there are rowing classes that take part on Mondays.