I really enjoyed this insight day. It was well organised, office was great and staff were really friendly. I never felt intimidated at any point and you were encouraged to ask as many questions as you needed. You met and spoke to people from every level of the company including current trainees as well as partners. So you could see a total oversight of what to expect if you were to work there.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
I felt my time was valued. The schedule was packed but there were only a few of us at a time so it was still individualised. There was presenters from different areas of accounting so you got a better idea of each role which would be helpful in choosing your future placement . They always asked if we had any questions at the end of each presentation.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
I particularly enjoyed the tips about the application process. It seems quite intense as there are many different steps before you even make it to a face to face interview. Obviously they could not go too in depth so as not to give you an unfair advantage but it was nice to hear from the partners in particular what they are looking for once you get there.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As this was just an insight day, it didn't develop my skills. The purpose was to be informed about the graduate program once successful. You will be working towards an ACA which includes online and in college courses. At the end of 3 years you will be a qualified accountant which is an incredible.
5. How well structured was the insight?
This was one area that really impressed me, it was very well structured. It started on time and finished on time, it was filled with presentations and even when a presenter was late, we were encouraged to talk to each other and complete various business related tasks, ice breakers etc.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
I really couldn't fault it, you expect going into such a corporate setting, you may feel a bit intimidated but I didn't at all. Everyone was really easy to talk to, they were very welcoming and engaging. It didn't seem like it was "put on" either, everyone seem to really get on and I could see myself fitting into the work culture there.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I don't think the this question really relates to the insight day as it was just an one day event. However, if I were to work at BDO they develop their employees from the get go, including official qualifications as well as on the job by increasing your responsibility each year.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
Every company talks about the good aspects of working for the company because they are trying to attract you but I asked a lot of questions to find out more about the day to day aspects, the employees mentioned the travelling wasn't always glamorous and can be tiring and I appreciated the honesty.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
I think the company's culture is professional but they have a good relationship especially since everyone has gone through balancing studying and working so they had a common understanding. They seemed to be good friends and mentioned you can always ask a coworker for advice.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
It was invaluable. I've always had this misconception that accounting is stuffy and boring, starring at spreadsheets all day but it really open my eyes to different types of accounting. Each day is so different and you make such an impact on your clients life. I think it will be a terrific career path.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
You are not paid for Insight days.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
Yes, there were many opportunities to network and you should take advantage of it. We got to network with everyone from interns, managers and partners. You got insight from everyone's perspective which was nice. We were supposed to have a tour of the office and meet more people but I think we were pressed for time.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
We got to have lunch with some of the current interns/graduates which was a bit more informal , we chat about their experiences, from application to exams to what they are currently working on. This was from the audit and tax team. In other cases we got to ask questions during the presentations.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Yes, we found out about their social activities, team building days and events they take part of as a team. They all said that it was really enjoyable, while they work hard they also have a lot of fun.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
Yes, I would definitely recommend this insight day to any friend who is considering a career in accounting or even if they are unsure of what career path to take. I learned that you don't need to have a background in business, they have many graduates who have studied natural sciences.