Based within the Sales Desk you deal with order placement from our customers, and dealing within any queries that they have. In the Internal Account Management role you provide support to the company's biggest accounts, conducting analysis to help drive turnover.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The working environment at BSH is great, everyone is very friendly and you are given plenty of support to complete your daily tasks. It was a great company to have my first year in full time work, and it was made especially enjoyable by the number of other interns so there were a lot of people to socialise with outside of work too.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the first day at BSH I was made to feel very welcome in the office, making strong friendships with people throughout my department and the business as a whole. I was given plenty of responsibility at BSH, which I felt showed just how much my department was valued my input, and I was made to feel like a full time employee.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At the beginning of my placement I received a lot of guidance from my colleagues, however this was reduced as the year progressed. I feel as though this shows how I grew throughout the year and the increased trust in the way I worked, however there could have perhaps been more reviews on my performance to identify areas for improvement.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had daily tasks and always had work to be getting on with, and if I was ever without work I could liaise with my manager or colleagues and they could always find me more tasks to be getting on with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
It is very much up to the individual how much responsibility you will be given in the Sales Support role. If you want to immerse yourself within the role and get a lot of responsibility you can and I feel as though I was able to take on a lot of responsibility in my role to the point where I felt like a full time employee, which I very much enjoyed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel as though I have developed on a personal level immensely this year and I will now be much more organised and a better communicator in the future. I also feel my analytical skills have progressed and I have become a much better problem solver, which I believe will help me in the future academically, personally and professionally.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a great atmosphere in the office, before I started I was very nervous about starting my first full time role however there was a very friendly atmosphere throughout BSH and I always felt welcome, making working here a pleasure.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
BSH have intern houses available for the year half a mile from the office, making moving to the local area pain free, there are people in HR who look after the interns, so there is always people to help you. As we were the first group of full interns the structure was a bit adhoc at times but there is plenty of support throughout and it is improving at all times.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was a full personal development training plan provided for us done by an external training company. I was given a lot of support and time from my department which has allowed me to grow.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is the potential of returning after graduation for another year as a graduate intern, which is a very nice option to have available.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there are a lot of interns and the majority live together in the houses provided by BSH, which brought us all closer. We all regularly went for drinks together, started a 7 a side football team and even went on holiday to Prague. This had made it a great year.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The general living cost is pretty good, great value if you get in the BSH houses. The local pub is £3.80 for a pint of Stella and you can get a haircut for less than £10 nearby work.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in MK is not the best, however as there are a lot of interns we have had a lot of great nights out, it really is what you make it.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
In my time at BSH I have completed Tough Mudder, Dragon Boat Race and Colour Rush events and there was also the MK Marathon entry, a Skydive and many more to get involved in.