It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Every day of the three week vacation scheme offered a new experience or challenge to overcome or learn from. By the time it was over you really felt like you had developed an array of new skills.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
Even as a vacation scheme employee with little experience, you were trusted with work which made a real difference to the services that the DLA Piper lawyers provide.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
Every person at the office was helpful, friendly and prepared to answer any question you might have. You were expected to show initiative and be proactive, but you always felt like you were supported as part of a fully integrated team.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I am certain that the skills I developed on this scheme will prove to be invaluable in my future career, both professionally and outside the work place.
5. How well structured was the insight?
The vacation scheme was very well structured and we always had enough time to complete the tasks we were given. In addition, we received talks from a variety of senior figures at the firm who gave us more of an insight into the ethos behind DLA Piper's success and, as potential future employees, how we could make a difference.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
Lively and energetic, but focused.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I received personal feedback at the end of each week, which involved a meeting with the supervisor for each department I was in.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
The first week was dedicated almost solely to this purpose. It was emphasised on more than one occasion that the scheme was a two-way process, which made it clear that our opinions of the firm were important.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
It was fundamental. We received talks from employees of different levels of seniority, which helped to provide a full picture of the ethos at the firm.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
Personally, I had already attended a number of other events organised by the firm which had helped me to decide upon my chosen career path. However, the vacation scheme was extremely useful in consolidating this opinion.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
Considering the fact that nowadays many internships are unpaid, I was extremely pleased with the level of pay I received for attending the scheme. In addition, some of our travel and food expenses were reimbursed.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
There were plenty of opportunities to network, and I still maintain contact with a number of the people I met throughout the scheme.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
There were plenty of opportunities to socialise and network. In addition, the accommodation arrangement meant that it was easy to organise further social opportunities outside of office hours.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
We received presentations and spoke to a number of trainees regarding the out-of-office activities available at the firm, of which there were many.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
I would definitely recommend this scheme to friends. I chose to attend this vacation scheme over similar opportunities at other companies, and I am extremely happy with this decision.