Global Communications and Business Support at Lubrizol

Derby East Midlands
Administration/Secretarial Business Intelligence Business Management Film/Photography

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

8.1/10

My placement was an enjoyable experience in which i learnt many things that i can now take forward into future employment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The team i worked within was outstanding, they were welcoming and friendly from day one. This only progressed through the year as well. I felt i could ask anything and also give my opinion at any given time, however big or small it may have been.

My supervisor and Manager were also brilliant they not only coached me through the placement giving me regular updates, but were also there when i needed help with University work. They would be very helpful should i need anything inside or outside of work, for example at one point i was having car issues, they gave me time to get them sorted.

I was reasonably busy all the time, there were not many points where i had to go and ask for work. I would have day to day tasks that i would be asked to complete, on top of year long tasks that would be ongoing throughout.

I had a lot of responsibility, at points i was given tasks that would benefit the whole of my department. I was also involved in projects that were affecting the company, not only in the UK, but also globally.

The skills i developed allowed e to complete the work i was given by University whilst on placement. The skills will also benefit me in future employment, i feel i have had a great insight as to the way a multiple billion dollar corporation works.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The atmosphere in my office was great, everyone was very friendly/chatty. I felt i could talk to anyone on the whole of the Hazelwood site, even if i did not know them personally.

My placement was set up reasonably well, i was the first student in my position so there were a few glitches to begin with (to be expected). For example when i joined, the main project that i was to be involved with and take up most of my time wasn't ready. However this meant that i was drafted into other projects that i may not have been involved in otherwise and subsequently gained knowledge/skill from being involved.

There were many opportunities to get involved with training and development that were provided by the business, all you had to do was ask your Manager if you could take a day to do so. However i did not personally get involved in the set training, i did feel i developed though, even without the formal training that i could have got involved with. The company as a whole invest in their placement students, they have over 25 students at Hazelwood, in lots of different proficiencies.

The appeal for future employment at Lubrizol is definitely there, they have a niche in the market and are a great company to work for. I will definitely look out for possible opportunities. The downside to this is they do not provide a graduate scheme, they have entry level jobs, this almost suggests that potential recruits need to go out and get more experience before returning. They do have full time employees on site that were pervious student placements.

As i have said previously, at Hazelwood there is such a large student placement community that there is a good social scene. They have over 25 students, some of which or science students, some mechanical and some business. The thing you find is at points everyone is together and then at others everyone splits off into the three disciplines.

I lived at home so i cannot provide information on the cost of renting/paying bills in the area. However i have lived in Derby all my life and i would say it is on par with most places that i have visited in the UK.

The nightlife is okay, if you have been to a lot of places in the UK (Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, London etc), you will probably think it is not great. However once you get in the swing of things, visit a few of the quirkier places, you will really get to enjoy yourself.

There were many opportunities to get involved with things outside of work because of the sports and social club (SSC)(which is cheaper for students). It provides opportunities for employees to get involved in activities that are then subsidised by the SSC, for the employee and for a partner or friend. Activities can include, day trips, paintballing, go karting, weekly sports sessions etc. The company is also involved with charity activities that some of the employees get involved in.