1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement has provided me an extensive amount of knowledge and skills to grow intellectually. I've learned a lot not only work-wise but also as an independent, well-rounded individual from the work environment and the people here. I absolutely enjoyed it - it's truly a life changing experience!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel valued since day one. Everyone has been very kind and friendly, even people from my start group and as well as in DCSC (DevOps Control Services Center). I am always encouraged, complimented and rewarded whenever I work hard. My colleagues not only provide help whenever I asked but also motivated me to work hard every day.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The management in DCSC is great.
My manager is very caring and always asks me how I'm doing. He shows genuine cares/concerns for me and all his team mates in general.
My career counsellor is also a very nice person although we don't have the chance to talk/meet up much. But whenever we do he always makes sure that my work is good and I'm treated fairly. I can easily reach out to him if I have any problems.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I am always busy with lots of tasks to do. I keep track of my tasks and know what I'm doing every day.
Whenever I'm free I'd help out others by picking up tasks from my busy team mates/colleagues.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I'm always given responsibility not only project-related but also responsibilty to plan and organise social events for the office.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Technical - I've had a lot of exposure to how technology is being used every day in real world to solve problems and deliver solutions to clients. I've learned lots of new tools, programming languages, networking, managing servers and databases, etc which I'd never get to learn at Uni.
I also learned effective tasks management and prioritisation, how to balance between work/social life, how to work collaboratively with others as a team, importance of communication and team work, etc.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Always lively, always many exciting things going on with lots of events/activities!
We have TV screens, sofa, free fruits, free sweets every friday, etc which makes me feel at ease when working. The fun never stopped!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Generally well organised. I enjoyed the inductions as we were given lots of presentations about the company. However I didnt enjoy the training as much as it was mainly online based and hence didnt give much opportunity to work with others.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I think the firm has a lot of investments in their employees in general, most noticeably the TAG programme. Although we're just IP students but we do get all benefits and receive all the help/resources we need.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
It'd be great to receive an future employment offer as I'd love to come back to learn more.
One year placement is a great exposure/introduction to the working life but not enough as I want to get a very good understanding of all the tech tools that are being used. Also to learn more from my colleagues as everyone here is really good.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Absolutely! Socials every Friday!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Office is located in a professional work district so lots of options on where to eat/drink etc but of course very costly too.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Office is located in a professional work district so lots of nice pub/clubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Opportunities always coming (ex: volunteering, hackathons, meet ups, conferences, etc) but I just don't have time/energy to attend all.