Business analyst - Job description depends on project. I worked in project management operations and as a market engagement specialist.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The enjoyment is very much dependent on the project you get on. Lots of good scope for networking and finding the right area for you. There is plentiful opportunity for travel, including international travel which is good experience. The teams I have worked with have all been excellent which helps with the enjoyment.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt highly valued by my colleagues. I could be trusted and depended upon and with this gave me good responsibility. There was also good inclusion, with lots of social events and the opportunity to create social events. As long as you are proactive and work hard you will be greatly valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My managers provided great support. I knew that I could set up meetings with them whenever needed to discuss work or personal matters. Accenture's culture encourages feedback through the performance achievement tool which is encouraging. I was told when I was wrong meaning I could learn from my mistakes.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This depended on the position the project was on. I new if I was too busy that I could reach out and get support, likewise if I wasn't busy enough I could speak to the team to get work. Accenture also has numerous extra curricular activities which good also be utilised in quite periods.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given lots of responsibility during this placement, but made sure I felt comfortable with the responsibility that I given and had the necessary support. I was able to lead calls with the client and felt that I could voice my opinion. Responsibility is again dependent on the project. My first project was with a much larger team and this meant the responsibility wasn't that much.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Regarding degree to skills I developed will not be that helpful, I study economics which is very independent. Having said that using excel every day will be useful. The skills developed will be much more useful during future work. I have a much greater understanding of how to perform well at work, the high consistent level of work which is required and the importance of documenting and thinking actions through.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was great. It was very relaxed culture, with free fruit, table tennis and air hockey tables, fridge stocked with beer and sofas. Client sites however are greatly varied and depend on the client and the industry. With your team there will always be a good atmosphere however if the project is over burning and individuals are working weekends the atmosphere may turn very stressed.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Lack of support when on the bench, interns should be given priority.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Project team separate from the company team so this could leave to lack of investment.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, being a huge company with numerous clients, any one who has performed to the necessary level will be offered a job.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The placement students met up every 2 weeks and where all similar personalities. Accenture had a first week of activities which meant that we got to know each other well. We also had a Christmas social with a party in the natural history museum which was next level. Accenture could have run more socials/sporting events with the placement students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London, says it all.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London, has everything.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?