Programme Leader at NCS The Challenge

Brent Greater London
Business Management Charity/Non Profit Education/Teaching Film/Photography Media Music Social Work Voluntary

8.3/10

7.6

"The Programme Leaders will work during October half-term 2016 to lead a team of up to twelve staff and support up to 72 young people through the Personal Challenge, Team Challenge and Real Challenge Design parts of our NCS Autumn programme.

As the manager of a youth and community development programme, you’ll be responsible for the overall running of the programme, the management of seasonal staff, and the pastoral care and development of young people aged 15-17 from a wide variety of backgrounds. The Programme Leader is supported with behaviour management by the Assistant Programme Leader. This role is suitable for experienced social care team leaders or youth project and event managers. If you have experience in engaging large groups, leading teams and working with young people we would love to hear from you! Additionally, experienced teachers who are looking to gain pastoral skills outside of the classroom and enhance skills to deal with challenging behaviour may wish to apply. Our programme leaders are passionate, highly-organised individuals with previous experience of facilitating groups and managing teams and are passionate about the development of young people. This is a demanding but rewarding role as part of an intensive programme."

I really enjoy working with young people, and seeing all of the inspiring things that they can do and achieve. The NCS gives staff the opportunities to work with a varied demographic, as well as visit places they themselves, may never have had the opportunity to visit before. At times, however NCS can become a bit predictable, especially if you have worked for them for a while. The placements can be repetitive and at times stagnant.

For the most part I felt incredibly valued by my colleagues. I was able to be a role model for new staff, whilst also working collaboratively with my team. The people I have worked with on this programme both this and previous years, have become incredible friends of mine that I will stay in contact with for a long time. There were a few challenging people to work with, however you encounter those types of people in any workplace environment.

I had a fantastic support network from both of my line managers. Even when I had an issue on the programme that needed to be dealt with by someone higher, it was handled with the utmost care, respect and professionalism.

That's a tricky one to answer. As the Programme Leader you are constantly alert to the needs of all of the young people and staff team, and have to be reactive to every situation, however at times it can feel like you are not needed. I solved this problem by always spending my time evenly between the five teams, getting to know all of the young people on a personal level and participating in the activities.

I was the Programme Leader and therefore held complete autonomy throughout my placement.

Not necessarily my degree studies, but certainly in my future career. I have learnt skills in people management, empathy, humanity, care, respect, trust, the list goes on.

The atmosphere was great. The programme is a lot of fun and I wanted to keep that level of excitement and freshness everyday. I am confident that that was achieved.

Whilst I love the job and the organisation I do feel like at times it can be very disorganised, which can make it rather stressful for the people delivering it on the ground (i.e. myself and my staff team). I think the problem is that NCS have grown so much over the years, and that expansion has possibly happened too quickly, making the quality of the service provided dwindle.

Not a lot. NCS really need to work on the quality of their training as it is repetitive and boring. The deliverance of it could be more engaging, and it could easily be shortened down to one day instead of two. For my role in particular, I received 30mins of specific training which I do not feel is sufficient.

Very appealing. I have a lot of time for this organisation and would encourage anybody with the right skills necessary to apply and work for them.

The best.

NCS pay for all of your accommodation, food and travel within the programme.

We worked in London, so it was pretty amazing. However, we were working essentially a 24hr day job so there was no time for a nightlife, nor were we allowed to do so anyway. That is not what we were there for.

Yes, we have a group Whatsapp chat where we are constantly arranging meet ups for social events with each other.