Automotive Engineer - Field Testing at Lubrizol

Derby East Midlands
Engineering

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

8.4/10

I have thoroughly enjoyed my year work placement. The job has been interesting and challenging with opportunities to get involved in a variety of different projects.
Everyone that I've met or have worked with have been really friendly and willing to help which has made going to work something to look forward to.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The company and colleagues make placement students feel very welcome into the company and provide the same opportunities to students as employees where possible.
During technical discussions and problem solving activities my thoughts and opinions were always listened to.
Some members of the team made sure to send on information or involve me in any project that might be of interest.

The company ensured there was a decent overlap with the previous student and structured induction weeks set up to help me into the job role.
Both my supervisor and manager were easily approachable.
Monthly 1-to-1 meeting were scheduled into my calendar from when I started and for the whole year which were useful for progress review, workload management and support for accompanying university assignments.

The department projects mean that there is always something to do and therefore I was never bored. Between myself and colleague in the same job role we able to balance the workload between each other
While being involve in several projects at the same time it was always made clear to me which were the priority to be completed.

Responsibility increased as the placement progressed starting with taking over the projects the previous student was running with guidance, until later in the year where I was able to run larger projects without assistance.

What the placement has done is link a lot of the university taught theory and lecture material to real world industry practices and applications. The job role is primarily office based however the company provide opportunities to develop other skills in different areas of the business.
Doing this year has made it clearer to me what a job role in this industry includes and made identifying future career options.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The office atmosphere was quite relaxed with music allowed as long as it didn't bother anyone else.

The company had preplanned induction weeks to meet all of the immediate team and also the managers of the related departments.
My supervisor and previous student had set up a phased handover period where I was introduced to the software, processes and projects I would be involved with.

The company tries to ensure all students get the most of the placement for example encouraging them to take part in several presentation throughout the year.
During 1-to-1 meetings with my supervisor we discussed progress and any further development such as more challenging projects, taking ownership and therefore planning of work, collaborating with other business segments, etc.

The company has a history of employing ex-placement students. However there is no job guaranteed after completing final years at university. Ex-placement students have to interview with other applicants but they do have the advantage of knowing what the expect, how the company operates and often interview techniques.

Yes a lot of the students would socialise with each other both at work during lunch breaks but also organise events out of work such as nights out.

There is a university close by so there is plenty of reasonably priced student accommodation available.

Hard to comment, not of interest.
The company is located close to a town and also a major city so there is a large selection of clubs and bars.

The sports and social club arrange a variety of activities throughout the year meaning there is something for everyone. Other employees organised separate activities such as football or nights out with the department.