To assist sales employees when amending golf travel bookings and meeting customer requests and demands. I would also have to take payments over the phone and use a computer for all of my work tasks. Amending bookings by booking golf and hotels for customers and also Eurotunnel crossings and ferries etc were required of me. I would work on the phones each day and would also be required to attend hotel meetings to learn about new venues throughout Europe.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Many of the employees are students or are fairly young, so the atmoshphere in which you work is by far the best I have ever known. I never feel like I don't want to come into work because I can have fun as well as getting work done.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very valued as my work is as important as a full time employee. Students are given the same responsibilities as others throughout the company so I never felt like I was any different.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Appraisals are taken by your manager which greatly help to give you confidence and provide support if needed. Anytime I need to ask anything I never feel like it is a burden as my managers are always there to help
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I never looked at the clock and was not concerned as I had enough to do that would keep me busy but not cause too much stress. Having more to do meant that I learnt more.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had the same responsibility as full time employees and this made me feel very appreciated and valued.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have learnt more than I expected to before I began and my overall skills have developed greatly throughout the year. My managers gave me support throughout the year and offered training where nessessary. I can't see if there is another placement that would give such a great opportunity to learn and develop as much as Golfbreaks.com.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is one that is a work hard and play hard attitude and gives the opportunity to have fun whilst getting your work done. Even the managing directors treat you like their friend and are even called by their nicknames!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very good set-up as appraisals are taken every 3 months to review development and go over anything that is of concern. Initial training (shadowing) works very well to get you used to using the system and you are taught by old or present students at the company.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
the company provides FAM trips for most students which gives the opportunity to see the venues that you are talking about on the phone. Product managers also take training sessions so that any questions or info you need is provided. I have been to Portugal twice since being at the company and have played golf on some of the best courses in the Algarve for free! All this as a placement student too.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The perks of the job are great and the people that you work with are even better! If playing golf interests you then this would be a brilliant job to take but you don't need to play golf to work here. If you want to get the most out of a placement as you can then work for Golfbreaks.com.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
A little too good at times! Lots of social nights out and trips to venues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in Guildford with my Dad so living was free, but going out wasn't as bad as I thought it would be for Windsor. Around Â£3.30 a pint but cheaper depending on where you go.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not as good as Bournemouth but still has a few nice bars and Eaton is just over the bridge with some nice pubs. With the people that work in the office the nights ouot are usually good anyway
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Most people play golf outside of work and also play football after work on Thursday nights. Most of the girls tended to go to the cinema with each other and go out for lunch etc.