Engineering Research and Development Student at Lubrizol

Derbyshire East Midlands
Mechanical Engineering

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

8.4/10

Worked in the Tribology Team in the Applied Sciences department. Supported the industrial, driveline and engine additives business segments.

I didn’t think I would enjoy the placement as much as I have. The site is a great place to work and the work was not only interesting but valued.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

I felt valued like a full-time employee straight away. Immediately I was trusted with important aspects of exciting engineering projects which are at the forefront of research in the fields of friction and wear.

Lubrizol is a great place to undertake an industrial placement. Not only is the work extremely interesting, but the feedback and support I received from my supervisors and fellow employees was brilliant. This led me to improve many vital skills.

I was busy throughout my whole placement which is good. Even when there was lots of work to be done, I felt there was always time to personally develop and learn however (e.g practice presentations).

Immediately I was given responsibility which made me feel like a full-time employee. I was heavily involved with testing on expensive tribological equipment and was also trusted to manage engineering projects.

The placement has improved many vital skills which I look to apply in my masters year at Leeds (e.g. report writing and presentation skills). For other graduate opportunities, working with Lubrizol for a year has improved many other important skills that are vital to succeed in my future career as an engineer.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

Both my supervisors were brilliant which made my time at Lubrizol very enjoyable! Also the banter I had with people in various departments was brilliant. I have made some very good friends!

The placement was very well set-up by my supervisors. They ensured I was involved in numerous exciting projects and ensured time for me to personally develop my skills.

I had to undertake mandatory health and safety training to ensure tasks were completed safely. Once again, Lubrizol is a great place to learn and personally develop.

The placement has been often described as a year-long interview where a lot of the current staff are previous students. However Lubrizol does not offer a graduate scheme in the UK.

The students organise many events and activities throughout the year.

I lived at home and therefore was able to save a lot of money. Derby isn't too expensive anyway however.

Derby isn't the best for night life. However there are a few good bars, pubs and restaurants. Also, Nottingham is just a 30min bus ride away.

Yes, there are many activities organised by the Lubrizol Sports and Social which subsidize many events throughout the year.