This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant.

2.6/5
  • The Role
    3.1
  • The Company
    2.7
  • The Culture
    1.9

Pricing professionals price the securities which make up investment funds or portfolios. Prices are needed to provide managers and clients with valuations of their investments. Fund accountants and fund reporters also rely on this information.

• 1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
  • During my placement I discovered that working in this particular avenue of banking was not the direction I want to take my career in. I didn't really enjoy the day to day work, but really appreciate the insight into what I wouldn't like to do.

• 2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
  • Very friendly atmosphere within the team with a good balance between working and banter.

• 3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
  • It's difficult to say as I wasn't really there long enough to need support or guidance by management.

• 4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
  • The role entails periods of inactivity, so I wasn't busy all of the time. However, this wasn't the fault of JPM, it's just that the work comes in stages throughout the day.

• 5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  • I was supervised, but left to make decisions and run them past the experienced members of the team before acting upon them.

• 6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  • Highly appreciative of the insight into a job that I don't want to do in the future, but I didn't really develop any skills other than furthering my ability to interact with other people whilst working within a team.

• 7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
  • As I said before, there was the right balance between work and play, so the atmosphere was jovial at times, but also focused when necessary.

• 8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  • 4/5

• 9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  • I wasn't really there for long enough to receive much training during the week, so that's not a negative reflection on JPM.

• 10. What were the perks on your work placement?
  • 0/5

• 11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  • The placement led to a job during my gapy year for nine months.

• 12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
  • I think the team went out for drinks occassionally, but I did not participate as I lived too far away to stay after work in the evenings.

• 13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  • I lived at home, so living was very cheap.

• 14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
  • I didn't experience it.

• 15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
  • I wasn't presented with any, but there could have been.

6th October 2010