8.5/10

• The Role
  • Organisation
    8.6
  • Socialising

Developing CADCAM software (C++)

2. Although there was a bit of a learning curve, I learned a lot and valued my time at Delcam.

4. I was given real responsibility and support by colleagues.

6. My supervisor was always willing to help and very cheerful; he was able to help me when I got stuck. Other staff members were also available when I needed them.

8. I always had something to do, but there wasn't any level of time pressure.

9. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  10. I was given a project to work on which would form a real part of the software I was developing.

12. I've learned a lot from my time at Delcam and a lot of the ideas and concepts I've come across will stay with me when I leave. As I plan to go into software development this industrial experience will be invaluable to my CV, but the things I have learned will also help me to understand how professional software development operates (or at least one approach to it)

14. Generally very positive. Everyone is friendly and open. The office space is fairly neutral.

15. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  16. Very well organised. I had a two-week training course before going into the placement proper and from then on was rarely ever at a loss as to what to do.

18. A lot. the first two weeks were a training course, where I learned a new programming language and gained insight into the company as a whole. Following this my supervisor particularly invested a lot of time supporting me.

20. Subsidised Canteen

Company Parties/Events

21. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  22. It is very appealing. I've been offered a job, but am not 100% decided on taking it at the moment (mainly due to other factors). They've given me time to think about it and it is an offer that I am taking very seriously.

24. Easy to socialise with other placement students (often went to a pub on Friday evenings). A bit harder with other colleagues, but I think that their general friendliness offset this.

25. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  26. Delcam actually offered to subsidise the rent of a house-share for placement students (although I commuted, for other reasons). The local area doesn't seem to be expensive for socialising.

28. Not something I'm personally interested in, but it's not too far from Birmingham centre, which I imagine is pretty good.

30. There are a number of 'clubs' (go-karting, climbing etc), which seemed very good. If I hadn't been commuting I probably would've invested time in these. By all accounts lots of fun!

Computer and Systems Engineering