Business Strategy & Insight (BSI) Industrial Placement (Company insight) at McDonald’s Global Franchising Limited

East Finchley (Zone 3) Northern Line Greater London
Administration/Secretarial Marketing Market Research Business Analytics Business Management Business Intelligence Purchasing and Supply Surveying Economics Mathematics/Statistics

8.5/10

8.6

Job Purpose

 Analysing and reporting on key areas of business performance.

Department Objectives

 As a customer-driven business, BSI department plays a key role in facilitating and setting the business strategy.
 Touching all parts of the business, we provide the insights to support fact-based decision-making.
 We achieve this through combining multiple sources of insight: company’s performance, customer research, competitor monitoring, economic context.

What the role involves

 Updating and developing daily, weekly and monthly information systems to aid in the reporting of key performance indicators for the business.
 Analysing general and specific product trends and reporting the business impact to key decision makers.
 Responding to ad-hoc requests for information/data from both the Business Strategy and Insight team and other departments across the business.
 General administrative support of the BSI team.

What you will learn

 An understanding of how a BSI team works within a ‘blue chip’ multi-national organisation, providing an excellent platform for a career in business strategy and insight.
 First-hand experience of the relationship between consumer, competitor and company perspectives and how they interrelate to form a business strategy.
 An understanding of how a major brand understands, defines and addresses customer needs effectively to build a strong and profitable brand.
 Exposure to the breadth of approaches applied to gather customer research and insight, from defining the issues, to planning the solutions to interpreting and communicating the learning and embedding it within the business.
 Development of analytical skills and experience of dealing with big data sets and information.
 Gaining experience in querying the Oracle database through internal business intelligence tools: Business Objects, Microstrategy.

I was part of a fun, friendly and hard working team. The work was varied and instrumental to the running of the business. As my ability to complete tasks grew, I was given more complex and important ones. This meant that I was always developing and never bored. 9

The team are very supportive. They are always willing to help, and encourage you to ask questions about everything.

My manager was great. We met every week to catch up on tasks I was completing and generally to discuss how the week went. Gave me lots of positive feedback and guided me on how I could improve.
I was given as much guidance as I wanted, I was encouraged to ask questions, but also given the opportunity to try to complete tasks unaided if I wanted to.
Ecouraged me to think about what I liked and disliked about work, and to think about what I want from a job in the future.

There was always plenty of work to be done so I was busy most days.

I was given a lot of responsibility. I completed reports which were sent to the entire company and to global head quarters.

I have greatly improved my Excel skills. I have also improved my communication skills through courses and developed confidence that will help me throughout my future career.

Even when the team was very busy there is always time to have fun.

The internship was very well organised. I completed a 3 week handover with the previous placement student, which meant I was ready to take over when he left.

I was able to go on every course that I requested. On top of this there was a lot of on the job training given to me by various members of the team.

There were a lot of placement students from different departments, who are always up for socialising.

It is in London, so definitely more expensive than most universities.

You are a tube journey away from Central London and close to Camden.

There are opportunities to volunteer for RMHC Ronald McDonald House Charity. there is also the opportunity to get involve in various sports after work.