What i was meant to do and what I actually did were completely different. My manager did not know the difference between a temp and an intern. So my daily tasks involved mainly being a glorified admin assistant. The only time I actually managed to do real finance work was when my manager was on holiday for a week and when I went to London to shadow a different team.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Every one (apart from my manager) where absolutely lovely they really helped me and talked me through every thing they where doing (as I was not allowed to do it myself)
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Apart from my manager. I felt really valued
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I would give this 0 stars if I could.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had time to read the metro in full and do the Sudoku, every day I asked for more things to do and was given nothing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Other managers and team members came up with lots of things I could be responsible for which my line managers vetoed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
From all the shadowing I did I did learn about different areas of the bank, which I found very useful. But I have now decided that I really want to do Audit Accounting.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office as a whole great, the atmosphere in my team was not good due to the management being unaware of what the system was capable of, thus caused more stress and know guidance.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Poor! My team found out 2 days before I was coming so nothing was planned, and my manager should have been told what an intern was.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Due to integration.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes I went out with interns and other people from my office a fair few times.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Bristol is fairly standard.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?