This review was written using a previous version of questions that
were updated in 2013
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work available to Vacation students was very uninteresting and not in the least bit challenging. Added to that the firm appeared largely unwilling to trust either myself or contemporaries with anything that was intellectually stimulating. By and large I spent most of the two week placement completing meaningless task like filing and photocopying.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The corporate recovery department was terrible in relation to this aspect. I was largely ignored by the partner sitting across from me, as well as the other fee earners. They all appeared very self absorbed, and thus I found the atmosphere extremely unwelcoming from day 1.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There was an opportunity at the end of each of the weeks to chat to the recruitment partner. He was very helpful providing information about the firm and recruitment processes.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Once I had completed a task I would occasionally sit for hours on end in front of a blank computer screen until another task would materialise. So in this sense the firm was extremely disorganised, as there appeared to be no set timetable of tasks for vacation students.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As I mentioned earlier, it was difficult to paint an accurate picture of ability with limited responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt very little and would advise against application.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
everyone seemed very unwilling to enter into any discussion or explain aspects of their work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was poorly organised with very little opportunity to showcase your ability.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The firm appeared very restricted in terms of their growth.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Nothing more than you would expect at a city law firm.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Some of the trainees organised drinks twice a week for us to join in on, as well as a pub quiz.