Vacation Scheme student at Herbert Smith Freehills

Legal/Law

This review was written using a previous version of questions that were updated in 2013

8.3/10

writing legal research notes
attending internal meetings and taking minutes.
attended a tax tribunal
helped with some filing and copy-checking.

The work was incredibly varied and high profile, which is exciting. It really reinforced my desire to be a commercial lawyer.

They were all really friendly and supporting. They all gave me great advice and some I would consider my friends.

They were very busy which is to be expected but I appreciated my supervisors talking to me abotu their work whenever they had a minute.

Never felt like I had too much work. I worked through everything at an efficient pace and when I asked for more I was given some, so I was always kept busy and never bored.

Some of the notes I prepared will be used for the purpose of giving clients advice so that felt quite satisfying. I felt responsible for the tasks I had been given, and felt as if I was contributing and helping my supervisor.

I haev gained an invaluable set of skills: attention to detail from preparing legal research notes; negotiation skills; time mangament which will no doubt help me in the future in the career of a commercial lawyer.

The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. Drinks trolleys came out one Friday evening to celebrate the merger, everyone was jovial and it was a really nice atmosphere in the office.

It really was organised well. Everything happened on time, there were no glitches.

There were presentations, workshops, socials almost every day; it really was a learning experience, so I would say they did invest quite a lot.

I feel positive, but it is extremely competitive so I am hoping for the best.

We all got along really well and we even organised our own social events.

London is always bound to be expensive, however, Herbert Smith had organised many of the social events so that made it easier.

London's nightlife is excellent.

There were sports opportunities which included matches in the evenings that vacation scheme students could take part in and there was also a shadowing opportunity at Whitechapel legal advice centre on offer.