Preparing the Balance sheet,Profit and Loss Accounts and
various other reconciliations for two Nomura entities. Performing SOXA testing and Accounts Verifications.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I am not enjoying my placement very much the team i work in is very quiet and there is a very bad atmosphere. Also this job does not suit my outgoing personality as most days are spent on excel in silence.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I made an extra effort to introduce myself and integrate with everyone, if i had'nt though i probably wouldnt have known many people as the majority of people keep themsleves to themselves.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My direct line manager has helped me whenever i have asked, but nothing beyond that.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I am generally quite busy on a daily basis. I have monthly tasks so the end of the month tends to be quieter than the beginning. I also have some very tight deadlines to meet at quarter end.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have been given a reasonable amount of responsibilty and i am usually left to my own devices.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I didnt receive very much training apart from on the job training which enabled me to do the job but i dont understand everything behind what i do sometimes
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Atmosphere in the office is very quiet and tense. It has got worse throughout the year and i think this is partly to do with the aquisition of Lehman Brothers. My team is especially bad, and there has been about a 75% turnover of staff in the team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I received no training apart from on the job training at the very beginning of my placement, and they dont seem very interested in personal development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I wouldnt take a job at the company if i were to be offered one. The job does not appeal to me at all.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There are only 5 placement students at Nomura and only 2 of us at the same office. There are not many social events (i had my first team night out last week and i joined 11 months ago). I have however made some good friends at the company and we have organised our own nights out.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It is very expensive to socialise in London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are many things to do in London on a evening/weekend!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?