Financial Controller at Nomura

5.3
2.6

6.5

Preparing the Balance sheet,Profit and Loss Accounts and
various other reconciliations for two Nomura entities. Performing SOXA testing and Accounts Verifications.

I am not enjoying my placement very much the team i work in is very quiet and there is a very bad atmosphere. Also this job does not suit my outgoing personality as most days are spent on excel in silence.

I made an extra effort to introduce myself and integrate with everyone, if i had'nt though i probably wouldnt have known many people as the majority of people keep themsleves to themselves.

My direct line manager has helped me whenever i have asked, but nothing beyond that.

I am generally quite busy on a daily basis. I have monthly tasks so the end of the month tends to be quieter than the beginning. I also have some very tight deadlines to meet at quarter end.

I have been given a reasonable amount of responsibilty and i am usually left to my own devices.

I didnt receive very much training apart from on the job training which enabled me to do the job but i dont understand everything behind what i do sometimes

Atmosphere in the office is very quiet and tense. It has got worse throughout the year and i think this is partly to do with the aquisition of Lehman Brothers. My team is especially bad, and there has been about a 75% turnover of staff in the team.

I received no training apart from on the job training at the very beginning of my placement, and they dont seem very interested in personal development.

I wouldnt take a job at the company if i were to be offered one. The job does not appeal to me at all.

There are only 5 placement students at Nomura and only 2 of us at the same office. There are not many social events (i had my first team night out last week and i joined 11 months ago). I have however made some good friends at the company and we have organised our own nights out.

It is very expensive to socialise in London.

There are many things to do in London on a evening/weekend!