Investment Banking Analyst working within the Equities Advisory team in London.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship was hugely enjoyable, Nomura has a great office culture and the intern community is friendly and supportive.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As an intern one might expect to be less listened to or valued, but that wasn't the case this summer. The team provided support when needed and I felt the work I was doing was really adding value.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management was involved throughout the process and provided support on ongoing daily tasks but more importantly on future development opportunities. My VP was particularly helpful in supporting my preparation for the end of internship presentation.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Workflow was fairly consistent, with some ebbs and flows. When the desk was less busy with live deals, I focused on my end of internship presentation instead.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The responsibility increased throughout the internship. It was very much a case of proving you can be trusted with a simple task before moving on to something more complex. Overall, I feel that the level of responsibility was appropriate given the time period.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Time management and report writing skills will definitely come in useful at university. Beyond, many of the analytical and soft skills will be invaluable returning to the workplace.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The teams are very friendly and approachable. The office has a great culture with many social activities, allowing you to relax and also network with seniors
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The HR team did a fantastic job in supporting all of the interns throughout what can be a testing time. It was clear throughout who we should go to with problems, and they organised several social events to help us celebrate our victories!
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm provided several workshops throughout the internship. It was helpful that these workshops were of real value and not just an exercise as some can be. Great training delivered at the right time.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The graduate scheme provides a competitive remuneration and great future career development opportunities. The pathway from internship to graduate role was made clear throughout the process.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene was one of the highlights of the program. The cohort was made up of a variety of different backgrounds and nationalities, making for a fantastic and differentiated experience.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living in Central London is high, and so is the cost of socializing. Commuting from a slightly further borough would be my suggestion, if this is a concern.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife is great, plenty of bars and pubs in the local area. The Oyster Shed is a personal favorite.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are many opportunities on the Nomura graduate scheme to get involved with activities outside of work. Within the internship program however, because of the length of time, there wasn't much time to look at this.