Analyst in Corporate Finance Capital Management team
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A fantastic internship. Plenty of different projects to work on across the 10 weeks and I was always busy. I had the opportunity to develop a range of technology skills and financial knowledge. The opportunity to learn and explore different areas of the bank as well was a real benefit.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone was extremely friendly and the hierarchy was very flat. As a result I had great exposure to a range of colleagues across different areas of the bank with ranging senioritis.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had weekly meeting with my manager and I was able to talk with her whenever I needed to. The mid internship review proved extremly useful as it helped me target areas for improvement in the second half of my internship
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was consistently extremely busy from day 1. There were certain points that team members were extremely busy with projects which limited the time I could ask for help however I still had more than enough to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a range of responsibility during my internship. As an intern I was mainly responsible for more daily repetitive tasks due to the sensitivity of information however I did have the opportunity to lead multiple projects and deliver my own lead work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I developed wont directly impact my degree studies due to the nature of my degree however the skills developed both hard and soft will certainly play a role in my future career which I believe to be more valuable.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was extremely approachable and had a lot of time for the interns. We had exposure to CFO level Q&A sessions and if you networked properly you could easily obtain 1-2-1 sessions with very senior managers round the bank. There were regular social events put on which definitely helped networking and exposure to the team in a non-working environment
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There were multiple training sessions set up for the interns to explore different areas within their function. A lot of responsibility in terms of networking and work was driven by the individual rather than the company themselves although that can be used to shown initiative.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company had multiple training sessions set up for the interns to explore different areas within their function. There was also a free online portal to learn more about specific areas. The individual team I was in took lots of time to educate me on information regarding the team which helped me understand my role a lot better.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Extremely appealing - The grad scheme is extremely exciting with 3 8 month rotations across the two years as well as the opportunity to undertake prestigious paid for qualifications to develop yourself alongside work
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were some good social circles amongst some areas of the interns however these were rather split across the different departments and thus there was little interaction with some areas of interns. There were several drinks events put on by the company to bring the interns closer together however.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived very close to the city of London to reduce commuting time to work. Would rather not comment on pricing ad it depends on the induvidual.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Didnt go out much in this area. Lots of very nice and reasonably priced bars and pubs in the area for after work drinks.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were several societies that you could sign up for even as an intern. The gym was also reduced price for interns. Due to the nature of some activities as a 3 month intern I myself dint sign up to many activities