1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Good role with lots of learning and meaningful work, great building and facility's and all members of staff, at-least in technology are really friendly. Lots of opportunities to go to trade shows, concerts and compete in sporting events sponsored by the company. For example free 02 box tickets and funded tough-mudder attempts.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Most teams have a lot of genuine projects on their backlog that they would like to get underway, coming in as a placement student and being able to start ticking them off makes you feel like a proper member of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Multiple layers of formal support, buddy's, mentors, line manager. Everyone is approachable so i feel like i have lots of people to go to for support and guidance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Lots to do in a variety of areas that ramped up after the first few weeks of settling in, very hands on culture where everyone gets stuck into a bit of everything. Always meaningful work to do if your willing to look for it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Lots of trust to pick things up and run with them from start to finish, had the chance to make projects my own without too much outside interference.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Hard to comment since at the time of writing this i haven't started my final year yet.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Can be quite noisy depending on what floor you sit on, very open plan and spacious. Coffee shops on each floor, everyone is very driven which makes it easy to stay motivated and pick up new skills. Subsided rooftop bar on a Thursday and plenty of after work activity's to get involved with makes networking easy.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Summer component was extremely structured with lots to do every week from socials, events and talks. These wound down later in the year however there are regular formal reviews every few months to track feedback and development.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As much as you would expect them to at placement level, where happy to let you have time off to go to events and conferences however formal training depended on a bit of luck and your team.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Everyone has a strong chance of getting a job however it comes down to your teams budget. Unfortunately this means it not always based on performance.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We did intern trips to Mallorca, Turin, Oslo, Bali, HongKong, Singapore, Vienna and lots of after work socials.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Area is very expensive however the rooftop bar is very cheap and placement remuneration covered the costs.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
City of London, so lots to do everywhere and major social hubs are just a short train ride away.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of social clubs, hackathons, sporting events and innovation groups to get involved with.