The finance intern plays a pivotal role in the finance department taking on many responsibilities including; producing monthly reports for HMRC, managing the company expenses system, and creating monthly cost centre reports for departmental managers.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Couldn't ask for more from an internship. Thoroughly enjoyed it, would definitely recommend it.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Porsche has run the internship programme for a number of years so my colleagues were used to having interns come through the department. As a result they were very welcoming and made me feel part of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was very well supported, the managers know that you are looking to get experience to make you more attractive in the job market so I was able to learn skills that would set me up for my next role.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning it felt a bit daunting, (with a very steep learning curve!) with the workload and putting the theroy learnt at uni into practice but as you learn the tasks and become more efficient the work balance becomes reasonable and you are able to use your time to explore more activities.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility, the Internship involved taking on a genuine role within the team and worked very closely with the departments from around the business so I was able to learn a lot about the company.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was able to learn valuable skills which I still use today, and I was able to work alongside experienced professionals who were able to give me advice for my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Atmosphere was good, very friendly
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very organised, lots of information was provided prior to my start date so I had everything I needed before starting the internship.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We were given weekly German lessons with a private tutor
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
2 years on and I am still here!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Excellent social scene amongst the interns, and other colleagues throughout the business, there was always an opportunity to go for a drink after work!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Reading has a large student population so there are plenty of reasonably priced places to live/drink!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
More than adequate - plenty of choice.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Plenty of opportunities, Porsche is in a good location with sports fields nearby and bowling next door, and the occasional company night out!