Analysing weekly and monthly sales to create strategies to enhance performance. Communication with buying and other various functions to optimise this.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I've had a fantastic year with TJX Europe as a placement student. You receive comprehensive training, lots of responsibility, as well as lots of support.
Our placement intake worked 10 months in Merchandising before spending the last two months in the Buying function.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The culture in TJX is incredibly welcoming and friendly. A majority of the Merchandising function have come through the comprehensive graduate program, and so understand how to help each other best.
You are actively encouraged to get involved with lots of responsibilities and there is an open door environment with senior colleagues.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I felt fully supported throughout the year in every function. You still keep in full contact with your merchandising team even with buying, so there is always people to go to.
Placements also have a dedicated team that they meet with once a month to discuss any issues or feedback.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
You are given lots of responsibility and opportunities to make an impact. This meant I always had loads I could be doing, and never felt like it was lacking.
Throughout the year, I was also given a number of projects that helped me network around the business and speak to new people.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility for three departments in the Merchandising section of my placement. This meant I was challenged in a hugely positive way and now feel more capable than when I first began.
The training period really prepares you for this, and then you are continually supported throughout the year by you team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This placement has presented me with situations and scenarios that you would never come across in university, and so has hugely developed my critical thinking, communication, and teamwork.
The projects throughout the year have also developed my presentation skills and think creatively in a business environment.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really friendly, you are encouraged to speak to people instead of emailing and this creates a conversational culture. Throughout the year the department also held a number of social events that everyone gets involved with.
In the summer, hours also change so the office receives Friday afternoons off - a great perk.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If you perform well throughout the placement, there is an opportunity to be invited back as a graduate with a promotion. This is such a great positive, especially if you enjoyed your year and know that this is what you would like to do after university.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?