Training to be a commercial manager within the different departments in a Marks and Spencer’s store
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall I enjoyed my placement year, however there were times where I found it a lot more enjoyable than others, this was dependant on what store I was in or what department I was working on
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Coming to the end of my placement I definitely feel a lot more valued by colleagues than I did at the beginning of placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Most of the managers I worked with had all the time in the day for me and helped me out whenever I needed, and those who had less time there was always someone else who could help instead.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Again depending on which department I worked in or the time of the year made how I busy I was vary. During eventing seasons work was a lot busier.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot more than I thought I would be given. It’s a real hands on learning environment and responsibilities come along with that.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
They have given me a lot more confidence in my abilities both inside and outside of the work place. It has made much more willing to put myself into ambiguous & nerve wracking situations.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Again this was very shop dependent, in some stores it was a great environment to work in because of the people & the teams. However, in others the atmosphere sometimes made an uncomfortable place to work
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The first 6 months of placement are really well set up and organised, the last 6 were less organised and I found myself moving every few weeks which I didn’t enjoy
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We were definitely given all of the tools for personal development, have pillars to work towards & achieve and booklets to keep track of this. As well as having different workshops throughout the year
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
While I definitely believe in the company and want it to succeed, for me personally if I was to continue working with the company I would consider a different role. But also with so many changes being made within stores, the prospect for graduates isn’t as clear
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I never really spent any time with any other graduates except for some workshops & a few meetings throughout the year
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Majority of the stores I worked in took me 45 minutes+ to get to, so the travel costs of this were very expensive
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I tended to live far away from the different stores I live in, so didn’t get to experience much of the nightlife
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I never did any activities with the company outside of work