Commercial Manager at Marks & Spencer

Retail

5.7/10

6.0

4.8

I enjoyed working with a variety of different people and having responsibilities from day one. I worked in several stores across central London with hundreds of different colleagues. However, it took me a while to adjust to the demands and expectations of the role.

I felt most valued when I was given accountability and responsibility, namely in the form of holiday relief towards the end of my placement. However I also had instances where I was left to my own devices with no clear role or direction.

This depended on who I was working with and the level of responsibility I was given. Some line managers were great mentors and enablers. They would schedule regular feedback sessions and ensure I had adequate training. Others would do little to assist with my development unless prompted.

In retail no day is the same so this would depend on various factors. This included the level of responsibility I was given, the store schedule, customer queries, management requests and store visits. On my busiest days I would barely have time to to squeeze in lunch. On my quietest days I would be going through the motions.

Over the course of 12 months I completed holiday relief for a Foodhalls with 50+ employees and line managed 3 floors of clothing and home. I led store visits from regional managers and I was accountable for customer service satisfaction in an Oxford Street Branch.

I have yet to return to university but I am confident the skills I have developed will assist me in the future. The level of responsibility I was given and the steep learning curve I experienced has given me confidence for my final year and future job opportunities.

I would describe the atmosphere as professional. Generally everyone is very busy so converstaion is directed towards work.

The structure of the placement is well organised. I was given a workbook which outlined my attachments. I spent the first 5 months training alongside managers. However, I was responsible for my learning and sometimes I felt as if I wasn't given enough time and support to understand aspects of the role.

I spent 5 months attached to various business units and had access to several workshops during the year. I was assigned a mentor and I had quarterly milestone reviews.

Although I didn't particularly enjoy the role I am grateful for everything I have learnt this year and I recognise how valuable it will be in the future.

For the first 3 months I worked with other placement students and grads who have since become good friends. Unfortunately, after 3 months they sent us our separate ways. I spent the majority of my placement working with colleagues who were significantly older than me.

I lived at home for my placement year but anywhere in London is expensive.

Working on Oxford Street there are loads of options.

Aside from the odd charity day, not that I was aware of.