Data Science 2024 Placement
In the 12-month Data Science Placement, you may be combining data and analytics with engineering or applications knowledge.
Roles and Responsibilities
In the 12-month Data Science Placement, you may be combining data and analytics with engineering or applications knowledge. We make extensive use of Machine Learning (ML) and Advanced Analytics including Computer Vision; Neural Networks; NLP and advanced statistics as well as working with varied and big datasets.
GE Aerospace combines unrivalled strength in the Aviation domain with digital capability to provide business changing outcomes. Our Data Science projects include working with GE Commercial Engines to support all aspects of the engines’ business from in-service deployment, fleet monitoring and management to maintenance, supply chain and financial operations. A typical Data Science project starts with a problem statement and dataset and our job is to work alongside GE customers to develop, test and deploy analytics which solve their problems or provide significant insights and improvements to the business. Every project is different and gives the opportunity to learn something new.
- Applying analytical or ML methods to monitor trends and identify issues
- Assisting in the development, test and deployment of analytics including dashboards/reports and the maintenance of existing capabilities
- Assisting in the preparation of clear and insightful presentations
- A structured approach to problem solving
- Ability to deliver required tasks to timelines
- Comfortable working within a team or independently
- Communicating technical information to a range of stakeholders – e.g., peers, experts and non-experts, customers.
- Our Data Science projects vary from site to site, specific project details will be provided at the interview stage
You will be guided by structured goals and objectives and will have responsibility to deliver on inspiring projects supported by your People Leader and team around you. We will guide you throughout the year to ensure you make the best of your GE Aerospace experience. Your People Leader will offer coaching and mentoring, and you will be provided with the opportunity to connect with other placement students across the UK.
If you are passionate about Data Science, we would like to hear from you.
This opportunity is offered in our Eastleigh site, we will ask you to share your location preferences during the application process.
GE Aerospace, Eastleigh is a small, friendly office (c 70 employees) located in Chandlers Ford, within easy walking distance of local railway and bus links. With a deep history of developing and supplying condition monitoring technology to the aerospace sector, GE Aviation Eastleigh combines unrivalled strength in the Aviation domain with digital capability to provide business changing outcomes. We are seeking highly motivated individuals to contribute to our digital future and have been successfully running internships since 2018. The site has opportunities in Data Science and Software. Our job is to work alongside Aviation customers to develop, test and deploy analytics or software which solve their problems or provide significant insights and improvements to their business. We also develop custom in-house tools to help us deliver our projects efficiently and effectively. We support a wide range of customers both internal and external to GE. Every project is different and gives the opportunity to learn something new.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Currently studying or recently achieved a Maths, Physics, Physical/Engineering Sciences, Data Science, Computer Science, or Mechanical / Aeronautical Engineering bachelor’s or master’s degree. Other degree subjects may also apply.
- Analytical scripting skills – Python preferred.
- SQL and Version Control (e.g., Github) experience also useful.
- Some experience of Machine Learning and advanced statistics.
- A keen interest in Data Science and analytics and working in commercial Aviation.
- Able to roll up your sleeves and get involved in projects
- Organised & able to work towards deadlines
- Inspired and curious to learn
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to take ownership for projects
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Able to work as part of a team
A placement at GE Aerospace is an opportunity to learn while doing. At GE Aerospace, you’ll work with business leaders in an atmosphere that will develop you, while doing work that makes an immediate impact.
- All placements are available to students and recent graduates who can start a placement between June to August 2024, for a duration of 12 months.
- Application deadline is 31st December 2023. However, we review applications on a rolling basis and encourage you to apply ASAP. Vacancies will close once filled.
- The selection stages include online assessments and a final round interview.
- Please only submit one application. If you submit multiple applications, we will progress the most suitable one. If in future you are deemed to be suitable for other opportunities, we will automatically consider you for these too.
At GE Aerospace, we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice, and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE Aerospace, we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Performance based annual bonus
- Non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Private medical cover
- Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security.
Right to Work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced, and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
About GE Aerospace
At GE Aerospace, we believe the world works better when it flies. We are a world-leading provider of jet engines, components, and integrated systems for commercial and military aircraft. Our rich history of inventing the future of flight, our continual investment in research and development, and our talented and innovative people will enable us to rise to the challenge of building a world that works with industry-leading technology and innovation. In fact, we’re already developing our next-generation of technologies to achieve greater fuel efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions with an ambition to be a net-zero company by 2050.
Working at GE Aerospace means you are bringing your unique perspective, innovative spirit, drive, curiosity, and ability to question the status quo to a collaborative and diverse team. It means you will have ideas and we will listen. Here, you will have the opportunity to work on really cool things with really smart people. Work that you will be proud of. Work that really matters.
Here are just a few of the reasons you will want to consider a career with us:
- You will help solve the global challenge of how the world flies more sustainably. Do work real work with a real purpose.
- Be a part of a global workforce of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, ideas, and experiences where everyone feels supported and respected.
- Learn from the best minds who also want to learn from you.
- Earn merit-based rewards and incentives.
- Have opportunities for continuous learning and development.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.
Please note that applications may close before the application deadline, so apply early to avoid disappointment.
Average Review Score
This score is based on the honest reviews left by students who have worked at GE Aerospace. Find out what it’s really like to work there - before you apply.Read 111 Reviews