AI & Data Science Placement
Supporting and in some cases leading Software aspects of 3M technology research and engineering across a variety of business and product groups.
- Innovative and creative.
- Team Player
- Delivery and task focussed.
- Thrive in a cross-disciplinary environment.
- Pro-active mind set to look for opportunities, troubleshoot difficulties and seek out solutions.
- Developing software and algorithms for technology research, which will contribute to products of the future.
- Working with the software development team to write tests and scripts to organise data.
- To contribute to the development of computer vision and machine learning research platforms.
- Developing, supporting and testing cloud-based software solutions, such as AWS.
- Innovating to create new software-based solutions and approaches which may be applied to 3Ms business opportunities, through independent and team research.
- The candidate will be working as part of an Agile Scrum team and will get the opportunity to learn about Scrum methodology.
- Opportunity to use the 3M 15% culture, to explore and drive personal technical projects.
Knowledge & Skills
- Hands on experience with software engineering with an interest in AI, Computer Vision and Machine Learning required.
- Experience in various languages such as Python, C++ or C# is required.
- Experience with data analytics, data cleaning and manipulation tools desirable.
- Experience with Git or AWS is desirable.
- Knowledge of algorithm design and applied mathematics desirable.
- Experience of creating a software user interfaces for algorithms is an advantage.
Training and Development
- A training and personal development plan will be developed with the successful individual. The successful candidate will be encouraged to embrace 3M’s significant training resources which cover both technical leadership and engineering tools and techniques. Training will be split between on-the-job training and specialist training as required.
- Development via 3M 15% culture is offered.
- Right to live and work in the UK
- On track to achieve 2:1 Computer Science degree or other degree with a strong numerical and software bias.
- 120 UCAS points at A-Level (or equivalent qualification)
- Valid UK driving licence preferred, but not essential.
Working at 3M
Unleash your potential.
Our success depends on the energy of our employees and the high quality of their leadership. Most of all it depends on their continuous improvement.
From sales to manufacturing to marketing to engineering, if you're committed to expanding your knowledge and gaining leading-edge skills, this is the place to do it. Professional development at 3M includes excellent training, continuing educational support, mentorship from smart, experienced people and more.
Move up - or move in new directions.
You'll find a strong promote-from-within culture here; it's an important aspect of our emphasis on learning and professional growth. You may also move between business units or even, potentially, to different locations around the world. That's one of the many advantages of our diverse business model and global reach.
Key Benefits Include:
- 25 days paid annual holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- Contributory SMART Stakeholder Pension Scheme with up to 10% employer contribution
- Life Assurance Scheme 4 x salary
- General Employee Stock Purchase Plan providing the opportunity to purchase 3M stock at discounted rates
- Discount on 3M products
- Employee discount scheme providing preferential rates across major UK retailers and service providers
- Reduced subscriptions on various insurance schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
At 3M, diversity & inclusion are essential to innovation. We seek and value differences in people!
As an equal opportunity employer, 3M will not discriminate against any applicant.
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $33 billion in sales, our 93,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
We love applying our science to creating products that, in big ways and small, make things better in some way. Helping people to be safe. Making them more productive. Protecting their health. Safeguarding the environment. And we have an insatiable appetite for meeting the world’s ever-changing challenges.
3M employs 2,750 people in the UK across 17 locations, including nine manufacturing sites. Products manufactured here include coated abrasives, personal safety equipment, adhesive tapes, industrial microbiology products and drug delivery systems.
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button.