Summer analyst in an M&A sector team performing supporting valuation, company financial analysis for pitches and client meetings, market research, transaction documents such as information memorandums and management presentations
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very positive experience from which I learned a lot and which really incentivised me further to work there
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Colleagues made an effort to involve me in every deal we were working on by briefing me on the bigger picture and including me in sit downs to discuss updates and talk about next steps. This made me feel very much part of the team and motivated me to engage further in the work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I felt people wanted me to do well and invested time in my development. Everybody was also happy to meet up and discuss my performance and how they believed I could improve, which I found very helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It was a very busy summer which truly enhanced my exposure and learning experience as I got to work on many projects in which my involvement was considerable as a lot of work needed to be done.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Considering my intern status, I feel that I was given quite a lot of responsibility, including attending a client meeting with the CEO and CFO as well as producing certain parts of a pitch on my own. This allowed my engagement to grow and motivated me to perform to the best of my ability.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I acquired technical skills which will definitely serve me in my career going forward through the training and performing tasks themselves, but I also built other skills which are transferrable to life in general, such as sustaining good performance and attitude over long working hours and in a high pressure environment.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I truly enjoyed the atmosphere at work - it is an ideal mix between a friendly and professional environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A great deal. Colleagues took time to help me develop and it was easy to build relationships. I also had several meetings with HR and my team leader to catch up on how I was finding the internship and to get advice on how to improve further.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Unaware whether I got the job yet but working at the organisation appeals very strongly to me.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?