Process Systems Engineer at Air Products

Chemical Engineering Engineering Mechanical Engineering

7.3/10

7.6

6.5

Process Systems Engineers are key members of project execution team. They are responsible for driving thework process to produce project specific P&IDs.

The Air Products scheme is really well run and very enjoyable. They provide a variety of summer and year placements which are varied and

The work that I completed was valuable to the team that I was working in. It was real engineering work. In this way I was valued by my colleagues, I was effectively treated as a graduate.

I had a manager who was response for giving me overall guidance over the 10 weeks. We had a few meetings throughout the duration of the placement to discuss my progress. I had a supervisor who could support and guide me on a daily basis. There's always a friendly face to talk to!

I spent most of my summer working on a specific project which kept me busy without being too stressful. Typical working hours were 8.30am-5pm.

I was giving some responsibility in terms of decision making, but but as a placement student most of the work is under close guidance from a lead engineer. This is great, because it means that you learn as you work.

Major skills developed on the project were Communiation, Organisation and Learning to Prioritise. These are really important skills to take into any job. I recieved training on my course for some plant modelling software that will be useful both in my degree and beyond.

Friendly and approachable. People bring in samosas and cakes for birthdays or other occasions and with a big office, this happens quite regularly! Always a good chance to go and chat to people.

The HR team at Air Products are very well organised, and keep good contact before, during and after your placement. The group that I've worked in have also been well organised so I've been able to undertake a well structured, enjoyable internship.

The company really invest time into finding new graduates, and hence have a well run and well regarded graduate scheme. Getting on a placement scheme with the company offers the opportunity for a route towards this.

Good, the number of graduates they take each year does vary but they do take people they like.

There is a good social scene amongst placement students, though of course it's up to you to organise! We tend to go out for a meal most weeks one evening and out for some drinks a couple of times over the summer, roughly. The colleagues in my group are also friendly, there a few good pubs nearby, which are good for a lunch visit with your engineering group.

Not as expensive as central London but still expect South-East prices.

Quiet near office but good a short train journey away. Surbiton or Kingston are popular nights out.

There are lots of opportunities sportswise. Other opportunies less so, but the graduate council do organise volunteering and some career development events less regularly.