Commercial Summer Placement at BAE Systems

5.2/10

6.0

3.2

My general duties include:
Forging relationships with suppliers and obtaining quotations from them, communicating with engineers to establish what items and specifications are required, collating information together to present to other interested parties, amending contracts, observing negotiations and learning about the processes that the company operates to.

The general job was interesting but occasionally a lack of consistant work led to periods of slight restlessness.

I always felt that I was valued but due to my inexperience the more complicated projects, understandably, were kept away from me.

Anytime that I felt that I had any questions or needed advice they did their best to assist even if it a wait was incured while they finished what they were doing.

The company was going through a busy period and so it was hard to give me a lot of work to be doing. Due to the fact that the work was very different to what I had done before it would have taken time to explain what was required and how would be best to do this.

When I was doing my projects I felt that I had much responsibility given to me to make contact with suppliers independently as a colleague rather than simply a summer placement.

I have developed a further understanding of how a really big company works from day to day. I was given helpful advice on how is a good way to make a good impression on an interview and how to apply standard skills to be useful in a working environment.

Occasional conversations about what they are doing on holiday and maybe at the weekend but other than that not a lot I can relate to.

I was given my own desk with everything already set up on it, I had a list of objectives set out for me to try and achieve while I was on the placement and generally felt that not only were people expecting me there but also were prepared for it.

I was put on any courses that would have been useful for me that were available at the time.

I feel that it is definately a place that I could work at in the future, however due to the early stage that I am currently at in my university course my options are still very open.

I did feel like a very young person there but there was a small number of graduates that I was able to have lunch with and socialise with on occasion.

I personally was able to stay at home but I know that it is an expensive place to live.

Not very good in the immediate vicinity but there are good transport links to London or Reading.

Not a huge amount on offer. The occasional game of football but on the whole the majority of the activities happen in the main location for the Summer Placements in Barrow.