8.7/10

• The Role
  • Organisation
    9.6
  • Socialising

The Associate Statistical Programmer has responsibility for statistical programming support for the Roche Pharma Development and pRED (Pharma Research and Early Development) organisations. He/she supports statistical programming teams under supervision on assigned study level activities, in implementing statistical software solutions for the reporting and analysis of clinical trials in accordance with applicable processes.

Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Contributes to SPA (Statistical Programming and Analyst) team in preparing summarised information to clinical study team members.
Programs deliverables (tables, listings and graphs) for clinical study according to requirements.
Responsible for accuracy and reliability of results. Builds and monitors quality in every aspect of job activities.
Adapts to changing circumstances, policies, work assignments, and team members.
Builds and maintains effective working relationships with SPA team members.
Meet timeline commitments on assigned tasks and communicate obstacles to the team in a timely fashion.
Has a familiarity with the types of risk associated with a study and the impact on the quality of deliverables.
Assist statistical programming activities at study level as appropriate.
Able to assess and clarify requirements, provide statistical programming solutions and ensure their efficient implementations under supervision.

Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Adapts to changing circumstances, policies, work assignments, and team members.
Builds and maintains effective working relationships with SPA team members.
Assist statistical programming activities at study level as appropriate.

2. The best decision I have made since starting my degree was undertaking a placement!
    The experience gained is phenomenal when compared to any other job I have had before.

4. Initially I felt like a burden, trying to get up to speed with the role, however once I was up to speed I felt as though I could do most of the work I was given and was seen as a valued member of the team!

6. Any time of the day, anyone in the department would do their best to help any colleague with any questions they had!
    I also had a mentor and development manager to give me additional training and support.

8. Workload varied greatly throughout the year, however I felt that there was always enough work for me to do in a day and rarely so much that I would get stressed over it.

9. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  10. As the year went on I was given more and more responsibilities, and by the end of my year I had similar if not equal the responsibilities of a permanent member of staff!

12. I only put 7/10 here as I did not learn a lot of skills useful for my degree in my opinion. The skills I learnt will help me throughout the rest of my life, and I am very confident I can use those skills to get a job after university!

14. There was a real emphasis on teamwork throughout the office, not only in my department, but throughout the building. Again, everyone is friendly and willing to help anyone who needs support with their work.

15. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  16. Excellent, this scheme has been improved and moulded for over 12 years, you can tell that aspects that have worked well before are being recycled and used again, and anything which did not go so well is being discarded. The placement scheme will continue to get better year after year.

18. The moment I arrived I was given training, sent away on training courses, in house courses, internet trainings. I had a development manager who was assigned to me specifically to help me develop my soft skills, and any technical skills I specifically wanted to learn.
    My mentor would usually assist my technical development, however everyone trains everyone usually.

20. Flexi Time

Company Parties/Events

Staff Sales/Staff Shop

Above 25 days holiday

Working from home

21. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  22. A student will not be guaranteed a job with Roche after his/her degree however they will usually get an interview and so long as there are no concerns about them from the department be fairly confident of an offer.

24. There was an excellent social scene, pub once a week, trips into London on nights out, football tournaments, badminton clubs, running clubs, free swimming pool, and student meals.

25. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  26. Being near London it is fairly expensive, however it is not too unreasonable.

28. In the work area, the night life is okay, lots of tidy pubs and nice restaurants. However being so close to London, there is so much to do. A short train journey to kings cross means the night life will always be good (although expensive).

30. Yes, as stated above, lots of clubs, a football tournament, weekly football matches, badminton clubs and socials, a running club, squash club, free swimming, yoga and palates classes.

Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics/Statistics, Pharmaceutical

Greater London