1st Level Mechanical Design at BAE Systems

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

6.9/10

7.7
4.8

As a 1st Level Mechanical Designer for an in service product my main duties involved problem solving. Problem solving took many forms, viewing the Submarine solutions product to gain a better idea of the problem and liasing with fitters who have found the problem. After liasing with members of the team I was then tasked to finding a solution. This often involved communicating to suppliers and more often than not the designer of the system. Finding a valid solution through these contacts or devising a resolution myself helped keep the product within its launch date.

The work was challenging and having to find solutions to problems in different systems meant i faced a steep learning curve, one that was highly valued by myself.

My line manager made me feel welcome and always spared time for my queries. Other colleaugues were helpful and informative whilst being encouraging.

Management helped me in my day to day queries. They pointed me in the right direction.

Due to the nature of the business, there were times when there was no work but times where a tight deadline had to be met. Part of this may have been a failure on my behalf as it was difficult to know how to work i.e. get my head down and bust a gut or relax and chat to colleagues whilst working.

The tasks I was given made me feel responsible as the tasks were sometimes critical to the launch date of the product.

My communication skills were developed. My telephone skills improved dramatically as I had previously had no need for a telephones use. Communicating my problem to others was also a skill that i got better at.

Focused on work as it should be but willing to relax and chat.

The overall organisation was good, however, on my first day my name was not on an induction list and i did not receive my building pass for 6 weeks meaning i had to queue outside.

The company did not invest in training. I was left to train myself which i feel was most appropriate. I was left to teach myself, a way that i feel allows me to develop more quickly and realisticly. The company invested time.

The job is very appealing, the location is not.

A night out was planned every thursday and myself and a few others organised and took part in sports activities that were really enjoyable. Some of the students who lived in Barrow had their own friends so did not socialise much.

The cost of "socialising" was the cheapest i have seen. (1.90 a pint in a good establishment)
The cost of living was also more than reasonable. The town was small enough to walk to events so no bus or taxi costs were necessary.

The nightlife was good, it was sometimes difficult to get a good crowd of people out. Everyone in the town was very pleasant so there was no need to feel scared in a pub or club due to the clients.

As well as sporting activities there were also activities within company time. These included community projects such as painting a hospice and mentoring school pupils on a day out.