1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed my time at BMW, the work has kept me engaged, I have managed to learn a lot whilst getting a clearer idea of what my future career might look like.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Not very valued, I wasn't really included in activities or made to feel one of the team. My position was made clear and this from time to time reflected in the work I was given.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The support was very limited, this was down to the department that I was located in, it contained only management heads, which meant that if one person gave me a task to do, it was only them that I could go to for help, in many cases this resulted in me getting stuck in one place for a long time, bottlenecking my own workload.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Relatively, there were days where I had to actively go out and look for work to do but apart from that the workload was pretty full on.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The amount that you'd expect for a student. I was left alone to do given tasks but my work was always checked over by a superior before it was submitted.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I fele that i have very much broadened by skill set. Especially my Excel skills have come very far since i started this placement.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There wasn't very much of an atmosphere. Very quiet and not many people conversing. This sometimes made it uncomfortable to work in being a student.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Not very well organised at all. During my time here I've created a student work list for future students to work to. However when being interviewed for the job I asked about what sort of things i would be doing and they rattled off a list of the different things I should expect including going to see other sights and working around the plant etc. However none of this ever materialised and I have been sat at my desk everyday since I started (minus one day we had a team meeting at another site, however it was a case of walk in, go to the meeting room, have the meeting, leave.)
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Nothing. They only took the time to teach me anything if I was going through work for them and didn't know how to complete it. Apart from this no other training has been offered in terms of future skill development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
For me, extremely unappealing. I will not be applying for another job within the organisation, or at least the same sector in the organisation.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
No. I met one other student whilst I was here and I only ever saw him three times. Apart from that I had very limited contact with anyone apart from the people within my immediate vicinity and even that was on a rare occasion
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in Reading which was relatively expensive however it was a nice place so this was one positive of my time.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?