split into 2 parts. 6 months working in Financial reporting team involved producing daily sales reports for the rest of the division taking part in month end by producing P&Ls, looking after the Sarbanes-Oxley reports and contributing to the monthly management pack showing the divisions performance over the previous month.
The last six months, the role moved to the commercial finance team meaning my role was customer-focused. Tasks involved ensuring customers had the correct pricing on their system so it matched our system, analysing current and unresolved disputes, and looking after invoicing.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Hard work at points but always kept busy, always learning and there was a lot of perks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
everyone made me feel welcome and there was a definite team spirit when working with colleagues.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support was there if needed however they encouraged me to resolve issues by myself and explore the systems using manuals etc.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The workload was added to during the year making the role quite hectic however I enjoyed being able to manage my own workload and complete tasks with a deadline - it's all shaping me at the end!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot of responsibility is placed on the intern especially in terms of hitting deadlines for financial reporting basis. Had to compile daily sales reports and distribute to the rest of business including managing director of WB UK. Also had to oversee the Sarbanes-Oxley act which is an obligatory task by law.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It will assist me more in future jobs. I am no I.T-literate, organised, motivated and effective in completing tasks within the required amount of time! Invaluable skills!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The mood varied with when month end was. This was a stressful time and people had to ensure work was completed before having fun.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
not only did my department organise external courses and internal development, however the HR department ensured all 30 interns in the building received training to further help their skills including "Preparing and giving Presentation", "The Myers-Briggs test" and the standards of business conduct.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
a lot of money was invested in improving my literacy skills
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
i would get a job within WB - it's a great place to work however they do not offer graduate schemes and i may be limited with career progression.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
about 30 interns were in the building. As i moved into London from the north, i lived with 2 other interns so made the year more enjoyable.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
LOTS of things to do however as it is Central London, everything was quite expensive
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
superb nightlife - always something new to try!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?