Execution of key national and consumer focused promotions. Helping Key Account Managers with day to day tasks. Attending consumer shows and trade days to represent 3M.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
3M clearly invests and values it placement and graduate schemes. Not only do the divisions train their students up to permanent employee level with according responsibility but they also include about 10-15 insight training days to help enrich their students.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Colleagues relied and trusted me with jobs that had never been given to a placement student before. When help was required I was never afraid to ask a question and employees would fall over themselves to help enrich your time at 3M.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Weekly 1:1 meetings help to ensure that I was on the right path. Quarterly reviews with the development scale used for permanent employees helped to gauge my improvement and engage in areas I have no previous experience with. Very helpful manager.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Frequently asked how I was coping with the workload. Taught to say 'no' if a task was unachieveable in such a tight time frame was very important and that was respected when occasionally used.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Owning projects and presenting them to management team with proposed processes. Planning and running the Education Show.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt so much here!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Open plan friendly office with a under riding sense of commradery.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very obvious that 3M have a number of students every year. Induction and handover was seamless and informative without becoming tedious.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Lean Six Sigma Training, workshops in project management, time management etc
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Fingers crossed - HR and my division have been in discussions to find relevant head count and keep me on once graduated.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
16 placement students and regular nights out. Also all part of a charity fundraising effort which bought everyone together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Very popular. Reading is closest and has a very happening social life due to being a university town.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?