Human Resources Industrial Placement at Unilever

Human Resources Public Relations

Unilever is a Top Employer

7.1/10

4.8

Developing HR planning strategies with line managers by considering immediate and long-term staff requirements
Interpreting and advising on employment legislation; develop and implement policies on a variety of workplace issues eg disciplinary procedures, absence management, working conditions, performance management and equal opportunities

There's definitely highs and lows (the more admin side of things) but overall it's been fantastic. Such good opportunities to learn and build skills and I have been given so much responsibility- more than I even imagined I would be granted.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 14 roles at Unilever

My team in Ice Cream has been fantastic. Everyone is really supportive of each other and you're never afraid to ask what you would think to be a 'silly question'. My colleagues were always happy to help or give an opinion on something and now even ask me for help and opinions which makes me feel really proud of how far I've come.

I had a change of manager half was through but I don't feel that this was in any way an issue. Both managers laid out clear goals for me to achieve, both long and short term. My most recent manager is very 'relaxed' and gives me a lot of freedom on what I'm working on, but is always there to offer help or advice should I ask for it.

I've been busier than I thought I would be but this is partially due to my own ambition to fulfil all tasks to the best I possibly can and make sure that I never leave emails unanswered. I generally work 8.45-5.30 with about 1/2 an hour for lunch but this on the similar to less side than a lot of my team so I feel any less may also be too little.

A huge amount. I have been really lucky in the amount of opportunities I have been given to build on my skills and learn new ones. As I have gone along my placement I've gained more and more responsibility and am now running an outdoor campaign in Ireland which is absolutely fantastic to be able to do. Although I've had a lot of responsibility it has been built up slowly as I become more and more capable so I do not feel that I have ever been out of my depth.

I think that I have developed really essential skills in organisation and time management that will really help me in my final year and beyond. I've also learnt a lot about professionalism and even how to construct a good email. On the marketing/ business side of things I have seen products come from an idea to the shelf and case studies like this will really help me next year when I need to gain understanding around theory.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 14 roles at Unilever

Really great atmosphere. There are lots of fun break out areas with props themed to each brand (e.g. Walls Ice cream, PG tips) and everyone here has a great energy and is really upbeat.

The placement was fairly well organised although I found out my location very very late giving me just 6 days to find a house in London as I was doing my exams when I found out so couldn't come to house-hunt.

Unilever has invested a lot in my personal training, I have had numerous option of courses to go on and take every opportunity I can. I am included in training, clan days and team days as if I were a long term employee in the business.

Very appealing, I would love to be able to come back in a year's time. Not only is my job fantastic but I enjoy working for Unilever as a whole as the culture and the energy in the office suits me perfectly and every day I look forward to coming in to work.

Yes, I live in a house with 3 other placement students and we regularly meet up and go out with another house of placement students. There is nothing "put on" by Unilever after the first week but this is OK anyway.

Highly expensive, I live in Wimbledon and pay £800 rent a month, not including bills. I would advise taking a student loan this year as I have needed it to help get me though. Living in London is extremely expensive, you can help yourself be wise with your money doing small things though, e.g. I bring in my own packed lunch which saves me about £20 a week on the cateen. We don't go 'out out' more than once every 2 weeks because London nights out are too expensive but we do things such as BBQs and Mexican Burrito parties at home to make sure we don't miss out too much.

Non-existent in Leatherhead where I work but in London where I live, fantastic.

Yes plenty, Unilever is really big on things like volunteering (the whole business took a day off to volunteer together this year) and there are other things like gym classes, sponsored cycle rides and lots more to get involved in outside of work.