Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland
Business Analytics

7.9/10

Operations, Investment Technology.

Hugely enjoyable. Interesting projects you are made to feel will have a genuine impact on the company. Edinburgh is a great city to work in during the summer.

Immediate colleagues were very helpful and supportive. They always made their time avaliable which made me feel valued. This is true of everyone I spoke to, all were willing to take their time to meet with me and showed an interest in my project.

Both of my managers were on the same floor as me and always offered help and advice. When working from home, they responded via email promptly.

The first week or two were a little slow why I tried to understand my project and developed the contacts to get it moving. This did occasionally leave me trying to find something to do. After a small amount of time and when I had got the hang of what I was doing, the work was presented as I asked for it which kept me nice and busy.

I was given a project that actually needed to be looked into by the company. Should my solutions be passed by the board, the company will change the way it operates (if only in a small way). I felt I had the oppurtunity to make a huge impact on the business therefore.

Had the oppurtunity to read company literature about Investments in my spare time and learnt a lot in doing so. Developed skills in networking and analysis, along with increasing my understanding on project management. I learnt alot about the way a business runs.

Quite lively and very 'nice'. Everyone was friendly and spoke to you about what they got up to on the weekend.

An underlying structure was prominent but it was possible to carry the Internship in my own direction. There was a project given to me at the start and checkpoints throughout the weeks, but a few weeks in I was able to come up with my own projects so the organisation was not inhibitive.

They put on various talks for out benefit. Made expensive licenses and programmes avaliable for our personal development as we were able to use them throughout. A vast library of online resources was also present and all employees invested their time in us.

It was made clear that they are considering hiring from the Interns, should our placement go well

All Interns were social and there was something to do every day. We were provided with serviced apartments meaning we lived in the same area, which was great.

Weekends and some evenings were when we socialised and it was significantly cheaper than London. Because we lived in the same apparments we were able to socialise for free

Fringe was amazing. Clubs were okay.

Something was happening after work almost everyday. If you have the stamina theres plenty to do.