1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Hugely enjoyable. Interesting projects you are made to feel will have a genuine impact on the company. Edinburgh is a great city to work in during the summer.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Immediate colleagues were very helpful and supportive. They always made their time avaliable which made me feel valued. This is true of everyone I spoke to, all were willing to take their time to meet with me and showed an interest in my project.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Both of my managers were on the same floor as me and always offered help and advice. When working from home, they responded via email promptly.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The first week or two were a little slow why I tried to understand my project and developed the contacts to get it moving. This did occasionally leave me trying to find something to do. After a small amount of time and when I had got the hang of what I was doing, the work was presented as I asked for it which kept me nice and busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a project that actually needed to be looked into by the company. Should my solutions be passed by the board, the company will change the way it operates (if only in a small way). I felt I had the oppurtunity to make a huge impact on the business therefore.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Had the oppurtunity to read company literature about Investments in my spare time and learnt a lot in doing so. Developed skills in networking and analysis, along with increasing my understanding on project management. I learnt alot about the way a business runs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Quite lively and very 'nice'. Everyone was friendly and spoke to you about what they got up to on the weekend.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
An underlying structure was prominent but it was possible to carry the Internship in my own direction. There was a project given to me at the start and checkpoints throughout the weeks, but a few weeks in I was able to come up with my own projects so the organisation was not inhibitive.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They put on various talks for out benefit. Made expensive licenses and programmes avaliable for our personal development as we were able to use them throughout. A vast library of online resources was also present and all employees invested their time in us.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
It was made clear that they are considering hiring from the Interns, should our placement go well
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All Interns were social and there was something to do every day. We were provided with serviced apartments meaning we lived in the same area, which was great.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Weekends and some evenings were when we socialised and it was significantly cheaper than London. Because we lived in the same apparments we were able to socialise for free
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Fringe was amazing. Clubs were okay.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Something was happening after work almost everyday. If you have the stamina theres plenty to do.