This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant.

3.8/5
  • The Role
    4.4
  • The Company
    3.7
  • The Culture
    3.0

• 1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
  • The work was interesting and directly related to what I had studied at university. The most enjoyable aspect was that I was continuously learning more about process design throughout the placement.

• 2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
  • Work given was essentially equal to that of other employees, just with extra time allocated for technical support. In that regard I felt highly valued as work I completed every day contributed to real projects.

• 3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
  • Managers have been extremely helpful throughout the placement and contributed to my learning massively. They can be busy but this was easily solved by planning and allocating time specifically for guidance and support.

• 4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
  • Workload fluctuated throughout the year as expected in this industry/role. I always had something to be working on though and never completely ran dry of work.

• 5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  • Calculations and specifications I have completed will all be used to purchase equipment for real plants.

• 6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  • Every project I have worked on will be beneficial as the role is so closely related to my degree. There are also many business-related and organisational skill that I've picked up that will be valuable into the future.

• 7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
  • Generally very good but had its ups and downs. Team spirit was great for the majority of the whole year.

• 8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  • Never came across any organisation issues.

• 9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  • Knowledge hand down from managers is extremely good. I experienced very little byond that in my role though.

• 10. What were the perks on your work placement?

Subsidised Canteen

Sports and Social Club

Subsidised/Company Gym

Company Parties/Events

• 11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  • Fairly. It's a very expensive area to live in when on junior wages but prospects are excellent for the future in the company.

• 12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
  • Good social scene with a few regular calendar events.

• 13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  • One of the most expensive area in the country.

• 14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
  • Good, easy access to London.

• 15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
  • Some, good STEMnet connections.

Chemical Engineering