Operation Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland
Accountancy Financial Management

8.1/10

I really enjoyed my time at Standard Life Investments, I had the opportunity to see much of the different areas of the company during my 10 weeks here.

Very valued. My team was quite small, but everyone was very helpful and we got along well.

I got a lot of guidance, but I was put in a team which dealt with things I've never worked with so I really needed it.

Some weeks I was very busy and some weeks I had less to do. I liked it more when I had things to do.

I had quite a bit of responsibility, but I didn't feel out of my depth.

The understanding how business work, I got to use some of my maths skills as well.

Everyone was very nice and forthcoming and I felt like I could have open conversations with most people, which I really enjoyed.

The internship itself was very well set up, but it was one of the first time my team had an intern and I felt like it was a bit learning by doing. In the end it worked out very well. Overall it was well set up.

We did not do much training, but the definitely invested in us having us come with our team on days away, doing the Gallup strength test etc.

It is definitely a company I could see myself working for in the future, the atmosphere was great and I enjoyed my time here.

In a social sense of view the internship was amazing! Standard Life place all the interns together in apartments and most of us weren't from Edinburgh. We did fun things every night of the week and I really have made friends for life. I had made lots of plans going down to London to meet up with other friends, but I have ended up staying in Edinburgh for the entire time purely because of how much fun I have been having.

Edinburgh is much cheaper than London, both food prices and drinks. However, I have been wanting to make the most of my time in Edinburgh so I have gone to quite a lot of museums etc. which has cost a bit extra. Food is quite cheap. Standard Life paid for our accomodation which was extremely helpful as it would have been hard finding accommodation during the fringe. This was definitely one of the biggest perks with the internship.

Great! Standard Life Investments is in the dead centre of Edinburgh and there was tons of places for after work drinks, but also clubs for later in the evening.

Not particularly in my team, but most of the Family days etc. had already been when we signed on. However, we did do a charity day away which was very fun.