This review was written using a previous version of questions that
were updated in 2013
- Workshops (e.g. negotiation exercise, contracts and drafting) to build skills needed in legal profession
- Work shadowing in department of choice, getting involved with real work usually given to trainees (e.g. drafting letters, proofreading, research)
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
As a law firm, it's generally a quiet place. However, the people are all very friendly and happy to help whenever you need it.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
It was only a week, so there wasn't much opportunity to. But workshops such as the negotiation exercise were very useful and gave an insight into the skills needed by a solicitor.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There could have been more opportunities to spend time with the other students, since we were mainly work shadowing in different departments. The group still managed to bond quickly though!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Realistically, there aren't going to be many in a week!