Quality Management Student at BMW Group

5.7
3.6

4.2

Assembly Quality management student

The placement gave a valuable insight into the world of small volume production and the daily work was usually interesting. My particular placement was heavily involved with computer systems and data analysis, not as hands-on as I anticipated

Most colleagues were appriciative of the assitance I was able to provide completing data analysis and background activities for the quality specialists and members of other departments. You are known and labelled as a student, as such your involvement in more complex tasks is limited as people do not view you as an equal within the business.

Through the year I had little to no contact with any company management beyond my direct manager. As long as my personal performance was acceptable I had little contact with my direct manager either. I was not given any feedback on my performance until I had repeatedly asked for it, and recieved my first official feedback over 8 months into my placement.

Daily work varied throughout the year, however the expectation was to work additional hours than those set forth in the contract in order to complete all work. This additional time is unpaid. At some times the work load is very light, however there are always additional projects to work on and keep busy with.

I was given little responsibility unless I created my own project to work on or was delegated a task that no one else wanted to do. In cases where I had a plan and worked on a Continuous Improvement Process idea I was soley responsible for the implimentation and solution, and I had issues getting the required support from others.

The practical knowledge and skills gained using excel and minitab, among others, will be invaluable. However the placement had little useful application to my degree course (mechanical engineering).

Very corporate office structure. Reprimands for items out of place on desk during weekly audits. Some fraternisation between colleagues but large open plan office eliminated privacy and most social interaction.

Organisation struggled early on, was unable to access computer systems for several weeks after starting as the account had not been set up beforehand. Mandatory workwear took over 5 months to order and recieve.

I was allowed to join on some tool specific training for CAD programs and measurement tools, however my requests to join skills training on problem solving was soundly denied.

Based on my most recent feedback, my manager seemed encoraging with regard to my future prospects with the company. I expect this would result in a graduate level position rather than a permanent position with the company.

Social scene was limited to other students, colleagues did not generally join us.

The RR factory is in Chichester, a very expensive and somewhat isolated town. Resturants and pubs are quite expensive with few exceptions. Rent and other living expenses are also quite high due to the affluence of the area.

The only nightclub in the city closed.

The proximity of the factory to the goodwood race track resulted in many oppertunites to get involved with the racing scene if desired. There is also a wealth of cycling clubs and other activites available in the local area.