1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The responsibilities you get are those of a real job. You have a lot of opportunity to interact with different departments in the company and the role challenges you to be more analytical of every situation you need to address. You also have a lot of reporting to do and data entry tasks which can be monotonus sometimes but these are normal responsibilities for a placement student which you will normally find with any company.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone is very friendly and you are introduced to all members of the team and those people you will normally need to deal with. I always found everyone very kind and helpful with my enquiries.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The previous student trained me for the role, however, my managers were always very helpful and supportive when I had an equiry. They would come to me from time to time to check how I was settling down and to remind me that I could always come to them if I needed to. They also considered my comments and opinions and trusted me with important tasks.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The role varies a lot, there are days when you are very busy and specially at the beggining as you are working slower. By the end, when you gain speed on your taks, you find that you have much more free time and you find yourself trying to find out what to do!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From the beginning, you get a lot of responsibility on the tasks you need to do daily.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The position allowed me to become more confident and really gain a deeper and more practical undestanding on my field of studies
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Friendly and cooperative.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well. You get all paperwork you need in advance and the first day you get an induction with other starters. The tasks are also well defined for the role.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
For permanent positions ther are a lot of training and development opportunities, but these are not offered to the interns. Apart from the initial training for the role, there are no other training opportunities available for students.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Different Job opportunities are available with Rolls-Royce and also with the BMW group in different locations. I have actually been successful on my application for a permanent role within the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there was a facebook page for students and, although I did not attend, there were different social events organised by students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
No idea, I do not leave in the area, I commute.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Although I do not leave in the area, I have been to a couple of places in the evening and there are few popular pubs around and one or two clubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Thre are some opportunities. The company organises family day every year and there are also couple of events organised by the department.