Interned within the national office agency team and was responsible for a variety of different roles included database maintenance, enquiry schedules, calling agents, cash flows and research. Was also able to get out of the office and attend regular meetings and site visits.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement and appreciated the opportunity to work within different sectors of the firm.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt highly valued by my colleagues and in addition to being entrusted with important roles and tasks, I was able to interact with them on a more social level.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Each intern with the firm was put with a specific mentor meaning you were able to develop a good rapport with one another and were able to ask questions without the fear you were intruding on their personal work.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It would depend on the day, some days I would be busy and others the workload was smaller however there was no one day where the workload was too much or I had nothing to do. Typically if I ran out of things to do my team would be able to put me into contact with other teams who would be able to give me work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
It would depend on the task, however as an intern it would be unreasonable to expect to be given total responsibility. However, for one of my projects I was given a high degree of responsibility, reporting to senior individuals within the firm.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel the skills I have learned will help significantly with my studies for the coming year. Additionally I have developed a network of contacts who I will be able to quiz with regards to coming projects such as my dissertation.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Good, the team would work hard during the day but the atmosphere would remain lively throughout. People all seemed to get on well with one another and the office was never quiet. Being able to go for lunch or after work drinks with the team helped me to get to know them better, improving the office atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was well organised in general with additional activities set up for example site visits and presentation workshops. Arguably I felt more social activities could've been arranged which would have allowed the interns to better get to know one another in the early stages of the internship.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Whilst no individual training was provided this was to be expected given the length of the internship. Group skills session were organised as previously mentioned.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The internship offers the prospect of jobs for those candidates who are successful however there is a two month waiting period before these are sent out.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Drinks and lunches were arranged between interns however the firm themselves only arranged one event which was at the end of the internship.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost was dependant on the generosity of your team however living and working in central London will never come cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Central London has clubs to suit every taste.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were opportunities to play for the company softball team however no other opportunities really presented themselves.