Assisting in creating the national communications for all new car launches and brand messaging.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Some aspects were incredibly challenging and required quick thinking and action. This took a while to get used to but came very naturally once processes were learnt.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Feel very valued in the whole department, like a permanent colleague. Given real responsibilities and treated like any other member of staff.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Manager guidance was in abundance and very valued, Always contactable if you had a problem or needed advice.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Always something to do. If not, easy environment to ask for more work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Lots of responsibility given such as running your own projects. Some political issues in terms of managers and approvals etc but overall good. There were some occasions where your team did not involve you but expected you to be able to help out in small bits and pieces which did get confusing as you were never able to give background on the project.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Overall the management, leadership and professional skills learnt will aid in research project and further study, However, I believe the placement year to be of more value for future careers.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
As flexible working and hot desking is the culture at BMW, the atmosphere is never the same and some people do keep themselves to themselves. As long as you are with people you get on with, you can always make the best of the situation.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
HR aspects were a struggle even whilst working but the department and university were very organised and clear.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested a lot of time in students e.g. volunteering at events, offering training courses and general perks as well as allowing you to get involved and run your own projects.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Limited through certain programmes but always good to stay in touch with people.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes very however the move from Bracknell to Farnborough made things difficult in terms of accommodation. Many social events with other colleagues and agencies.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
N/A - lived at home
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
None in Farnborough but Reading is always a good night out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?