Intern at Simmons & Simmons LLP

Legal/Law

This review was written using a previous version of questions that were updated in 2013

9.0/10

Spring vacation scheme

Overall, this was an excellent scheme and I still cannot believe how much I have learnt in just a week. The people were fantastic, the office was fantastic, the facilities were fantastic and everything was well organised.

Whenever they had work for me to do, they were very willing to give it to me and appeared to appreciate the work I had done. It was also good to get feedback from them or tips on how to improve my work.

I had a buddy who was very good in sourcing work and also extremely willing to help in answering any questions I had whether about the firm in general or about the work I was doing.

This was my main issue with the scheme. Whilst some days were busy, some were very slow and I had very little to do. This was, as explained by my colleagues, mostly due to the time I had come in. Things were slow for the department as a whole and most of the work that was available would not have been appropriate for myself. Having said that, I was still able to work on various tasks and the schedule of the scheme as a whole made it such that I was kept busy a lot of the time.

When I had tasks to do, I was given a lot of independence to work on them with what means I found most appropriate. I was also given the freedom to structure my own time and how I went about my work. I was definitely very pleased at the amount of responsibility I was given and the responsibility which I could see trainees around me were given. On every task, the right balance was there as despite the independence I was given to work on them, the lawyers were very happy to look through the work and provide helpful feedback.

Organisational skills, learning how to draft, etc will all be very useful in both my degree and future career.

It was a great balance. There was a very relaxed atmosphere and I loved how people smile at you when you walk past. We were also able to attend a talent show in the firm which was a fantastic experience. At the same time, it was focused on working and everyone was going about their busy schedules. I felt this was a good atmosphere as you want to enjoy the atmosphere of the office whilst getting work done.

Graduate Recruitment did an excellent job planning the scheme. It was all very well organised.

The company definitely invested a lot through training sessions, teaching us about the firm, and through the work we did which developed our skills in various areas.

It was definitely a great experience and I would love to work with the firm in the future!

On the nights when we had no events organised by the firm, we were able to organise most of ourselves to go out for drinks and/or dinner together which was always good fun. We also sometimes had lunch together in the subsidised canteen. It was fun, and everyone was really nice.

It was London, so expensive is a bit of an understatement. But it was expected, and you do get used to it.

Again, it was London so definitely something out there for everyone!

Quite a number of opportunities, but after each day of work I mostly wanted to rest.