Excellent week of learning, with great colleagues and a welcoming office environment. This was a week of informal work experience in the Abu Dhabi office.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
Very valued, especially when the staff took time to explain to me exactly what was required in each task and to answer questions and go further into the project details to give me a fuller picture. When I stayed late to work on some banking contracts, the fee earner worked longer with me the following day and gave extensive feedback and further insight into the work he was doing.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
I received a lot of guidance for each step and on the tasks which I could freely commit to without guidance, I received feedback which was always constructive and creative.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The insight allowed me to get a feel for the firm and less to develop set skills. My communication and networking skills were developed as I learned how to act appropriately in an office environment where I was always at risk of appearing to be a burden to the fee earners who were particularly busy that week.
5. How well structured was the insight?
It was structured nicely, with some hours that were more relaxed and some days which had stricter deadlines for certain tasks and meetings.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Abu Dhabi Office. This was an informal work experience in which I felt comfortable and eager to engage in the work.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company were not in a position where they were obligated to invest in personal training with me and as such the daily interaction and help that I received was really beneficial and greatly appreciated.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
To a great extent, especially when it comes to understanding the difference between regional and central offices. The regional office worked quietly, efficiently and there was a lot more 'personality' to the office, whereas central offices can be more overwhelming and stressful because of the sheer volume of personalities all working within the same space on multiple different tasks.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
It really helped me to understand that the company culture is that of an extremely intellectual group of people working individually with the knowledge that they can always reach out for help when needed.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
Very valuable - the work I was exposed to was great fun but some aspects were geared much more towards those with financial interests, and not for me.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
As this was informal, I was not paid for the week.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
Yes, I went to lunch three times that week and met associates, trainees and partners.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
There were no actual events created so I could not comment on this question.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Yes, there were plenty of opportunities for employees to do things outside of work, including various water sports, social clubs and events taking place across UAE.