The company produced TV and radio programs on finance as well as a magazine on the real-estate market in Shanghai. There were over 150 employees so helped CEO prepare for all meetings taking place in English, handled most of Western clients, and reviewed contracts written in English.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement company was great, but the internship company lacked the structure most Western companies have for long term interns. This was part of learning experience so turned out to be a positive.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like I had been working there for several years
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The level of support you would expect from the CEO that manages 150+ people
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very project based so very busy for periods that require much overtime and then some slow days in between projects
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the most responsibility out of all other interns due to my foreigner status
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Since felt like family, the mix between work and personal was constant.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Absolute Internship helped make the process seamless and help the host company with their first foreign intern (me).
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I did something new every week and used the other staff to help accomplish this task.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If you speak Chinese then future employment seems quite possible.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was the only other foreign full-time intern within this host company
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
A conversion rate of 1USD = 7 RMB really helps the wallet
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Shanghai, I am sure you know
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I was involved in two or three but had opportunity for more if I found the time.