Placement Student (Research Chemistry) at Lubrizol

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

9.5/10

9.7
9.6

I really enjoyed all aspects of my placement. I found the work I was doing interesting and enjoyed the challenge of continously having to develop my products, present and justify my chemistry and learn valuable chemical and lab skills.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

I felt as equal a member of the team as any full time member of staff and felt that my work was appreciated and acknowledged and I had a great time just being one of the team, in the lab and office.

I was given a lot of support and guidance throughout the year. Early on in my placement I was heavily supported in the lab and with the computer systems, and as I got more familiar and wanted independence the support changed from being automatically given to there frely as and when I wanted it- I was given a lot of independence to work in the way I wanted to. Towards the end of my placement when my placement report had to be written I recieved extensive support in its writing and editing etc.

This varied- there would be busy periods and quieter periods. This was quite nice as it hasn't just been one boring or too difficult pace. The slower times were great for catching up on bits of paper work, and the busy times really got me out of bed and excited to come and see what we could find that day.

I was given a lot of freedom, independence and responisbilty during my placement- because I wanted it, my boss was very happy to let me get on with things as he knew I would get thigs done. I had freedom in design of the experiments I was doing and the way I managed my work, I was allowed to extend into another department and do some work with them. In terms of responsibilty I have written safety documents (machine risk assessments and COSHH forms) and was allowed to use chemicals that require special handling.

The lab skills I have developed this year will be invaluable to me in my 4th year of uni when I complete a research project. Not only that but I have also developed my written report skills, my presentation skills and have added to my degree by doing something that not many students do. It has taught me a lot about time management with having to work full time and alongside doing my third year at uni.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

Fun and lighthearted. There is a group of 15 in the office and lab, we all work together and have a good team atmosphere.

Very well. Lubrizol has been having students for a long time so the whole placement ran smoothly from start to finish. The year has been both structured and flexible- the best of both worlds.

We went on a lot of training courses and I feel my personal development was of importance to my bosses. I feel a lot of time and resources have been invested in me this year.

Very good. Lubrizol is a vast company across many countries globally. If any roles come up after I graduate that Lubrizol think I would be particularly suited for I may be invited to apply for the job.

I was one of three students at this Lubrizol site this year. We all got on very well and enjoyed the nights outs together.

I am from the area originally so knew that the cost of living was quite cheap and was within my means.

We work just outside of Manchester city centre so there is a vibrant and broad nightlife- with something to suit anyone!

We went on works nights outs on numerous occasions- a good opportunity to socialise away from the office. These were always well attended and good fun.