My main roles included making collateral to educate the sales team on our products. I also gave internal presentations to raise awareness and understand of our products.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement. It is a very laid back working environment as you have the option to work from home and your start time is flexible as long as you get your hours in and get the job done! I had many opportunities whilst on placement including getting to travel to Paris and Madrid!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I wasn't treated as an intern but instead just as a normal employee. I did work that was important and wasn't just given the boring jobs to do. I got to work with senior management as well as with other graduates and interns.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had weekly meetings with my manager to discuss any work I was doing. This was also my time to discuss any concerns or say any questions that I had.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It would fluctuate through out the year. It is a European company so in August it was very quiet! However if you go to your line manager they shall find you more work to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility in my placement. Enough to challenge me but not overwhelm me. Responsibility included project managing tasks and presenting to internal sales people.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think although my placement isn't directly related to my degree it still shall benefit me when I go back to complete my final year. I have strengthened my communication skills as part of this placement I have had to work within an international team. I also feel that my time management has improved as I have had to keep to deadlines which will definitely help me when back at uni. I think it has just generally given me a good insight to what work life shall be like when I graduate.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A good laid back environment. The office had hot desks so to secure a seat you have to be in early. There is a break out area to have lunch, a chat etc. Regular charity cake sales in the office etc.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Although I did have good work to do when I joined Atos I do not feel like they had a plan of things for me to do whilst on placement. As well as this during my time I had 3 different managers so I was given tasks as we went along there was no formal plan. However we did have 3, 6 and 12 month reviews to review my progress.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My company paid for me to sit exams in data science and cloud subjects to get me up to speed with the line of business I was working under. Also gave me great travel opportunities. I went to both Madrid and Paris and if my placement was a week longer I would have made it to Utrecht too!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would definitely be interested in going back to Atos. It is a massive company with many career options and they shall give you the ability to move and try new things if you want to. My main concern is I'd like a job that still utilizes skills I have gained from my degree.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There would be drinks every now and again. There are quite a few grads so they organize events but as there are very few interns they rarely organize events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
My placement was in London, so yes London is very expensive! However Atos give you a higher salary compared to interns in the rest of the country as the living cost in London is higher.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Once again my placement is London so there is something to accommodate everyone!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not a significantly large amount but you could volunteer for some charitable activities such as sports, baking etc.