Project Engineer at Air Products

Hersham Greater London
Engineering

8.1/10

6.0

Air Products Plant Project Organisation (PPO) are responsible for the execution of plant modification projects on its existing European plants. These modifications are carried out using specialist engineering departments both within and external to Air Products. The projects normally have value of between £20,000 and £1,000,000.

Project engineering within the operations group is unusual as it involves developing a project from its initial concepts, to estimating, project execution construction and right through to commissioning and handover.

The project engineer is responsible for bringing together a team to come up with the best solution to satisfy the requirement. This will involve liaising with specialist functional disciplines, design groups, plant personnel, business areas and external customers.

Job Scope:
The job entails following the PPO project work process, learning and putting into practice the stages of project execution while gaining knowledge of how this integrates into the wider company and its business.

The junior project engineer will assist in the preparation of project proposals for operating groups and business areas. This includes scope definition, cost estimation and development of execution strategy project schedule. It may also include compiling specifications for construction contracts, working with the procurement department to evaluate bids, liaison with contractors and discussions with customers

Placement was great, I got a lot more out of it than I ever would have imagined.

I felt as if I was very much just another member of the team as the tasks you are given are tasks which would otherwise be taken on by someone else in the group

You're paired up with somone whenever you join the company who shows you everything you need to know, they sit in the same area as you so any questions you have throughtout the year you can ask immediatly and the people are always happy to help point you in the right direction.

As a Project Engineer the work typically oscillates, sometimes there were periods were I was really busy and other times not so much, but there was always something else to do in the less busy periods and on the whole the work balance was very good.

I was given a lot more responisbility than I thoght I'd ever have as a sutdent on placement, I had sole responsibility for multiple projects ranging up to £30000.

With regards to my degree studies I will probably be more confident now and motivated for my final year. The real benefit would be the experience I've gained during this year which you cant get at uni and this will be invaluable when applying for graduate jobs.

I am not sure how the atmosphere fares with other offices as this is the first experience I've had working in a professional environment. However it was always pleasant and everyone was friendly so I guess you couldnt ask for much more

The scheme throughout the whole year was very well organised and structured and the assessment criteria was made very clear.

The company has invested a lot in me, a lot of other engineers have invested their time in my own development, but I've also been on various different training courses provided by the company which will be beneficial for me in the future

Future employment prosepects are very appealing and I'd love to come back as a graduate.

Yes, they have a large intake of placement students and graduates and there are plenty of social events organised.

Very expensive, as it is in the Greater London Area it is probably the most expensive place in country.
However when you weigh up the costs vs. the endless things to do in London it is worth it in my opinion.

The nightlife in the specific area around the office is limited a few pubs, but it is only a short walk to the train station and after a few stops you can find some great nightlife in other areas.

Theres a wide range of different activities to get involved in out of the office